1. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    I have been reading about the so-called "sink estates" in the context of the current situation in France. "After World War II the French built the so-called sink estates for the workers they encouraged to emigrate to help rebuild the nation."

2. zam

zam Senior Member

England
    England -french (mother tongue) & english
    'Sink estates', 'sink schools', etc. in these common English phrases, 'sink' as an epithet would usually translate as 'poubelles', so 'cités poubelles' could be a crude translation here. If you refine the translation though, it would translate as 'cités d'urgence' (literally 'estate built to answer an emergency'). They have become through our last pc-conscious decades ('pc', incidentally =politiquement CONVENABLE, NOT politiquement CORRECT) 'cités/zones de non-droit', now 'zones urbaines sensibles' (Z.U.S) in journo-speak.

3. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Dear fellow foreros and friends,

I am reviving this thread first of all because I am not totally satisfied with the suggestions above, and because I am faced with a tricky pun, which I fail to solve, either because I am being lazy or because my neurons have suddenly shrunk...

a sink estate

The sink estate has sunk to unrivalled lows of bleakness.
    La cité ghetto a atteint un niveau abyssal de désolation?

I can't find a way of keeping the pun sink/ sunk, and what is worse, I fail to find a more idiomatic but as powerful wording in French.
    Surely, geni are numerous around, and I'll be thankful to those who will help.

4. Jasmine tea Senior Member

French - France
    La cité ghetto vit son grand plongeon dans la plus morne désolation jamais connue.

Not very idiomatic. Peut-être un peu long, un peu lourd. Mais quand je lis la phrase, sa longueur me déprime... alors peut-être que....

Au départ je suis partie de l'idée d'utiliser le verbe plonger.... et voilà où j'en suis arrivée.

Si je trouve mieux... reviendrai sur le thread

5. Plume d'ange

Plume d'ange Member

Français / French
    I would suggest that "ghetto" is refered to as ''a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups".
    Is it so in the "sink estates" ? Or is it about poverty ?

6. guillaumedemanzac

guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

Aquitaine
    English - Southern England Home Counties
    Sink estates in Britain are HLM estates built generally after the war (1950s/1960s) to supply the regeneration of cities and the need for workers. A lot of these workers were migrants with language and job problems. The "joke" was that you were sunk if you lived in a sink estate - poor schools, a lot of crime, unpleasant living conditions (20th floor apartment for a family with three young children).
    "Slums" is close - dirty, bad living conditions and poverty. "Bidonville" ? "Fosseseptiqueville" ? - on tombe dans la merde sans pouvoir en sortir.
    Ghetto is more racial/religious - like the old Jewish ghettoes in many large cities - where Jews were condemned to live in the middle ages or a leper colony where lepers were sent to to control their infections and to get them away from "normal" people. - a kind of enforced "quarantine" - also used during the great plagues of Europe where these quarantine zones were created to avoid the plague spreading to other parts of the city.

7. Plume d'ange

Plume d'ange Member

Français / French
    « Bidonville » selon le Larousse : Le terme « bidonville » fut d'abord utilisé à Casablanca à partir de la fin des années 1930, pour nommer les quartiers de baraques construites par des ruraux dans la périphérie de la ville à l'aide de matériaux de récupération, notamment de vieux bidons découpés. (...) Au sens strict, le bidonville est fait de matériaux récupérés : bidons, tôles, caisses, planches, cartons goudronnés et vieilles bâches en plastique.
    Suggestion pour "sink estates" : cités à problèmes - cités-taudis. J'ai vu aussi le très pudique quartiers sensibles pour parler des grands ensembles et des banlieues problématiques.

8. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    A sink estate is where the council puts its "problem" families, mainly because the families have neither the time nor the influence to wait for a better offer. It does not refer to the date or architecture of the estate, though as you can imagine, the architecture of such areas doesn't get any better as time goes on.

I have known such estates to be near the city centre ("inner-city estates") or at the far end of the longest suburban bus route.