Sip your time away

< Previous | Next >

ciaula

Italian - Italy
Hi everybody!
Could someone explain the expression "sip your time away"? I found it in some hotel reviews ("armchairs in which to sip your time away", "sit back on a deck chair or in the pool and sip your time away on this island") and I assume that it simply means "spend your time in a relaxing way", but I'm not totally sure it has a positive connotation: could it also be understood as "waste your time"?

Also, I see that sometimes also the expression "sip your time" (without away) is used (less often), and I have the same doubts as said before. Is it used? Does it have a positive or negative meaning?

Can someone help?
Thanks!

• ciaula

Italian - Italy
    Secondo te cosa significa?
    Secondo me, come ho scritto, significa "spend your time in a relaxing way", quindi trascorrere del tempo rilassandosi e senza preoccuparsi dello scorrere del tempo stesso. Il mio dubbio riguarda però anche la connotazione dell'espressione, che al mio orecchio suona anche come "perdere tempo". Lo stesso dicasi per l'espressione senza "away" (che ho trovato molto meno, per questo chiedevo se esistesse).
    Grazie!

rrose17

Canada, English
    Sip your time away is an expression invented here to imply having something to drink in a relaxed way while you’re lounging in one of their chairs on the beach or wherever.
    It’s also a play on the expression “time slips away”.

Starless74

Italiano
    What ciaula may find confusing is the word order:
    one would expect to read something along the lines of: 'spend your time sipping...' etc.
    For a similar (but much more common) expression see also: to dance the night away.

Il mio suggerimento: passa il tuo tempo con un drink in piscina/poltrona ecc.

ciaula

Italian - Italy
    What ciaula may find confusing is the word order:
    one would expect to read something along the lines of: 'spend your time sipping...' etc.
    For a similar (but much more common) expression see also: to dance the night away.

Il mio suggerimento: passa il tuo tempo con un drink in piscina/poltrona ecc.
    Actually I don't find confusing the word order, I was only wondering if the expression has the meaning you suggested and, above all, if the connotation can be only positive, same for "sip your time" (without away).

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Actually I don't find confusing the word order, I was only wondering if the expression has the meaning you suggested and, above all, if the connotation can be only positive, same for "sip your time" (without away).
    In what context have you seen "sip your time" without "away," ciaula? I turn up nothing if I search for it. :confused:

ciaula

Italian - Italy
    In what context have you seen "sip your time" without "away," ciaula? I turn up nothing if I search for it. :confused:
    Only a couple of examples:
    - Watch Man of Steel before seeing Dawn of Justice

Not only will the film be that much better of an experience for you, but you will also feel like a Time Lord as you eat your popcorn and sip your time displaced and overpriced Medium drink.

-> same meaning of sip your time away, I guess

- What is Victim Mentality and what you should do about it?

People with victim mentality maybe considered as energy drainers as they may affect your productivity, decision-making or worst, your drive. Spending time with them doesn’t only sip your time for your tasks, but also your energy and happy vibes.

-> another meaning, with negative connotation

ciaula

Italian - Italy
    Time-displaced, overpriced and Medium all modify drink in my view.
    So it's just "sip your [ 1, 2 and 3] drink". No relation with sip your time away here. ;)
    You're right!! I didn't pay enough attention... ok so I can use the expression "sip your time away" with a clearly positive connotation to say "passare il tempo in modo rilassante/assaporare il tempo che passa, while the expression "sip your time" (without away) doesn't exist or has different meaning. Right?

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    Starless deleted their post too fast! Absolutely right, in my opinion. The second one about victim mentality makes no sense, again in my opinion. It seems to be a typo of some sort. There are a couple of other mistakes in it, that make me think the writing is sloppy. (worse not worst, may be not maybe, considered as is just odd, etc.)

rrose17

Canada, English
    Sorry for any confusion... I suddenly wondered what "time-displaced drink " could possibly mean. :oops:
    That makes two of us at least! But then I'm not familiar with Time Lord so that may have something to do with it. :) In any case the "sip your time away" as has been suggested is like "dance the night away" and to sip time is not a fixed expression.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    People with victim mentality maybe considered as energy drainers as they may affect your productivity, decision-making or worst, your drive. Spending time with them doesn’t only sip your time for your tasks, but also your energy and happy vibes.
    This is poorly written, as rrose has already said, and it seems to me that the writer (possibly not a native English speaker), is using "sip" in a context where you might more commonly find "suck." Something or someone can be said (informally) to "suck" your time or your energy, in the sense of wasting your time or taking up more of your energy than it's worth. But "to sip your time" isn't a fixed expression of any kind.

< Previous | Next >