Sit with your feelings

Questions19

Spanish
Hi! I want to know what does this idiom mean? Because I can't find it anywhere and I can't keep on going with my translation. Thanks
Me gustaría saber que significa la frase: sit with your feelings

• Mr.Dent

English - all over the USA
    I can hazard a guess, but I would prefer to have some context. What is the situation? Also please supply the entire paragraph.

Questions19

Spanish
    Positivity is not about just being happy, which is often the misconception. In fact, acknowledging a range of emotions is healthy. Positivity is persistence while using positive thinking strategies. It is sitting with your feelings; it is acceptance of what is; it is holding onto what makes you happy.

It is a text that speaks of a positive actitud to get a healhy mental actitude, and this is the paragraph where the phrase appears, thank you

Mr.Dent

English - all over the USA
    Thank you for providing context.
    In this case to sit with your feelings means to not act, but to mull over, contemplate or simply experience what you are feeling.

OldBaby

English - Philadelphia
    ¿Alguién tendrá una buena traducción al español?

Sometimes we have to sit with uncomfortable feelings.

Aguantar? Sentarse con?

Ballenero

Spaniard
    Lo equivalente a sit podría ser:
    sentarse a reflexionar acerca de algo, los porqués, etc.
    Dicho de otro modo:
    pararse y pensar en ello,
    darle vueltas al coco.

Marsianitoh

Spanish-Spain
    "Darle al coco" es una forma muy coloquial de decir pensar, discurrir; no tiene nada que ver con " sobrellevar", " "aceptar", "resignarse" que es lo que se estaba diciendo hasta ahora que significa "sit with something". Supongo que para llegar a aceptar algo primero hay que reflexionar sobre ello pero eso no significa que " aceptar" y "reflexionar" signifiquen lo mismo. ¿ Significan lo mismo " sit with something" y " mull over something"?

Marsianitoh

Spanish-Spain
    I believe darle vueltas al c🌎c🌎 captures the meaning of sit with your feelings much better than sobrellevar :p Además, al darse vueltas al coco, se puede cambiar de humor, :(:D , aún color.
    The full sentence would have to be "darle vueltas al coco pensando en tus sentimientos", that means " to think about you feelings over and over again" is that the meaning of " sit with your feelings"? I thought it was closer to " come to terms with your feelings".

OldBaby

English - Philadelphia
    ¿ Significan lo mismo " sit with something" y " mull over something"?
    "Sit with something" es más pasivo, como ya tu dijiste, "aceptar", "resignarse" son las traducciones más aptas (creo yo). "Mull something over", es más activo, como darle vueltas, o ponderar (creo yo).

Un ejemplo de "sit with" que quiza exprese su signicado podría ser: I told a joke that offended my friend. He expressed how he felt and now he doesn't want to talk to me. I feel guilty and I hope that he forgives me but there's nothing I can do except sit with the feeling.

The full sentence would have to be "darle vueltas al coco pensando en tus sentimientos", that means " to think about you feelings over and over again" is that the meaning of " sit with your feelings"? I thought it was closer to " come to terms with your feelings".
    Yes, it is a kind of reckoning. I've heard it described as "being with your feelings", i.e., paying attention to them, identifying then, and being with them -- don't be afraid of a feeling, don't try to run away from a feeling, just be with it