Site town hall

onetwothreefour

What is a site town hall, as used in the following extract from a site injury report? Is it a common expression or company-specific jargon? Will provide more context if necessary. Thank you.

Corrective Actions:

Make proper tool readily available in the work area.

Train employees on the proper use of the tool.

Retrained employee regarding Personal Protective Equipment guidelines for hands.

Shared experience at site Town Hall; reiterating the importance of using the right tool and earing proper PPE

• Myridon

English - US
    A town hall is a type of meeting which is informal and the audience is often encouraged to participate. This site meeting involves all the employees of this "site" (location) of the company. The company must have several offices in different places.

Fern_

English - British
    For me (British English) a town hall is the main building of the town council (city administration), where large meetings can be held, so it's a building, not the meeting itself.

Packard

USA, English
    Perhaps this can be cleared up by supplying a few more sentences of context.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    For me (British English) a town hall is the main building of the town council (city administration), where large meetings can be held, so it's a building, not the meeting itself.
    In AE, it's both. Actually, it's basically a building, the same as in BE. In recent years, "town hall" has also become shorthand for "town hall meeting" (which need not actually be held in a town hall), as described by Myridon in post #2. When candidates for public office hold such meetings, they denote a gathering in which the candidate, rather than speaking lecture-style from a podium, sits or stands on the same level as the audience and makes comments and answers questions in a conversational style.

Packard

USA, English
    I suspect that this is a transcribed rather than copied quote. That would explain the "...and earing proper PPE..." which almost certainly should be "wearing".

So I'd like to know the original source material and perhaps a bit more context. Transcribed quotes are never as accurate as copied ones.

onetwothreefour

Thanks, Myridon, your explanation makes very good sense.

Packard, thanks for your posts. It is a copied quote from a work site injury report. Everybody makes typos, not just me. :) I am afraid I cannot disclose the author/client because I am supposed to keep quiet about what I am working on. The quote lists suggested corrective actions to prevent a particular type of injury from occurring again. Other posters have not had problems understanding what the text is about so I assume there is no need for more context.

Packard

USA, English
    I had no problem understanding the quote. I thought more information would reveal more about the "site".

< Previous | Next >