sitting or sit,eating or eat?

pegaso

Italy, italian , german
Hello everybody,
I have a doubt on the following sentence on using the to...or -ing form.
By the time we got back,the table was laid in the garden for lunch and we all began sitting or sit and we went on to eat or eating all afternoon.
Tanks a million for your help
Ciao Pegaso

• I'd say that in the first case you should use sitting. Though, it doesn't sound natural to me. We all sat down is more accurate to my mind. As for the second example, I'd use gerund as well. went on eating not went on to eat.

In the first sentence I would use Past Perfect: By the time we got back, the table had been laid in the garden.....

Though, you'd better wait for naitives' opinions as mine cannot be taken for granted.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    By the time we got back, the table had been laid in the garden for lunch. We all sat down and we went on eating for the rest of the afternoon.

E-J

England, English
    "Go on to" can be used with the -ing form or with to, with different meanings.

We went on eating = we continued eating
    We went on to eat = then (next) we ate

In the first, we had already started eating and we continued to do so; in the second, we had just done something else and then we ate.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Taking a slightly sideways look at the sentence - there's no possibility that we would be eating all afternoon. So, never mind the verbs, there's something un-English that needs to be fixed. Here is a quick, and not very satisfactory, suggestion.

By the time we got back, the table had been laid in the garden. We all sat down for lunch which went on for the rest of the afternoon.

< Previous | Next >