Sitting up there in that beltway bubble

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It can mean several different things, but here it refers to the fact that the songwriters believe that people in the Beltway are protected from real life by a "bubble."

By the way, you might want to double-check those lyrics on another site. "Beltway bubble" is fine, but "the main jefe" is absolutely meaningless to me.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I take it to mean that the politicians ("White House" and "jefe") are disconnected from the rest of the people in the nation, both physically but more importantly figuratively. To be or live in a bubble implies one is isolated from the outside, by choice or not, and is understanding life and making decisions based on just a part of all there is to see and experience.

"Jefe" is hispanic slang for "boss", is it not?

SuK

English - USA
    I believe that these lyrics are referencing the President of the United States as the "main jefe" (jefe=boss).
    So "We [the American people] have the prettiest White House that money can buy
    Sitting up there in that beltway [literally a road circling a city but idiomatically referring to US political establishment] bubble [metaphor again referring to an insular or protected place]
    The main jefe [the President] talks about our freedom"

It sounds like a song that is cynical of the US government.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Jefe" is hispanic slang for "boss", is it not?

"Jefe" is the standard word in Spanish for a boss or superior, not slang at all. The word is etymologically related to the French chef and English chief. The "slang" aspect here comes from using a Spanish word in English lyrics.

< Previous | Next >