situations wanted/vacant

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Our language teacher taught us this morning the expressions above mentioned but when I asked her how they are used, she only told me that they are not usu used, as I insisted on asking, she admitted she didn't know!!!!! Thank God, I'm in this Forum and I'm sure somebody will teach me! Thanks!!!!! :p

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Artrella said:
    Our language teacher taught us this morning the expressions above mentioned but when I asked her how they are used, she only told me that they are not usu used, as I insisted on asking, she admitted she didn't know!!!!! Thank God, I'm in this Forum and I'm sure somebody will teach me! Thanks!!!!! :p
    I have never heard of "situations vacant" nor "situations wanted".

I have heard of "vacant rooms" in the context of a sign above a hotel.
    I have heard of "vacant positions" in the context of an employment ad.

dave

UK - English
    Evening Art,

Situations Vacant is what you might see in a newspaper, as the heading for the section containing the job advertisements (vacancies). I think that is the only context in which you will come across it.

I don't think I've ever seen Situations Wanted, but I suppose it would be the section where people looking for work would advertise themselves. If it does exist it is possibly a slightly archaic phrase.

As Venus has never heard of either of them I would guess that they must be British English.

Hope this helps.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    dave said:
    Evening Art,

Situations Vacant is what you might see in a newspaper, as the heading for the section containing the job advertisements (vacancies). I think that is the only context in which you will come across it.

I don't think I've ever seen Situations Wanted, but I suppose it would be the section where people looking for work would advertise themselves. If it does exist it is possibly a slightly archaic phrase.

As Venus has never heard of either of them I would guess that they must be British English.

Hope this helps.
    Good afternoon Dave,
    I undertood your explanation, but how do you use it/them in a sentence? Do you say "I'm reading the "situations vacant"? just the same as if you say "I'm reading the classifieds" They are the same thing? I need some example so as to know the usage of these expressions. Besides, are they used in everyday speech?
    We use "classifieds" in Sp. Art :)

dave

UK - English
    Artrella said:
    Good afternoon Dave,
    I undertood your explanation, but how do you use it/them in a sentence? Do you say "I'm reading the "situations vacant"? just the same as if you say "I'm reading the classifieds" They are the same thing? I need some example so as to know the usage of these expressions. Besides, are they used in everyday speech?
    We use "classifieds" in Sp. Art :)
    Yes, exactly:

Have you seen that job in the "situations vacant"?
    I'm reading the "situations vacant" section.

It wouldn't really be used in any other contexts or in everyday speech - it's very specific.

The classifieds refers to any/all of the advertisments in a newspaper. Other sections within the classifieds might be:

Lonely Hearts
    Items for Sale
    Items Wanted
    Accommodation for Rent
    etc.

A: We need to find a new housemate now that John has moved to Spain.
    B: We should put an ad in the classifieds

A: I need to find a new job.
    B: Here's the classifieds - have a look in the sits vac
    [abbreviation for situations vacant] section

Does this help?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Does this help?[/QUOTE]

Yes Dave, now I have my examples I can see it clearly!!! Thank you very much, Art :p

< Previous | Next >