Sixby the following Wednesday evening

< Previous | Next >

songD

korean
Six days later, by the following Wednesday evening, she was able ~~~. <-----Partial sentence from original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

what does "by the following" mean??

Last edited by a moderator:
  • songD

korean
    It probably means "before". Can you provide the complete sentence and some context?
    From then on, every day after school, Matilda shut herself in her room and practised with the cigar. And soon it all began to come together in the most wonderful way. Six days later, by the following Wednesday evening, she was able not only to lift the cigar up into the air but also to move it around exactly as she wished. [.....] "I can do it!" she cried.
    [Quoted text reduced to the maximum permitted length. DonnyB - moderator]

this is it. from the novel Matilda

Last edited by a moderator:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's only the single word "by" that means "before".

The rather curious question about "by the following" suggests you think those three word belong together. They don't.
    What belongs together is "the following Wednesday evening". This means the Wednesday evening that followed (i.e. the Wednesday evening after) the event previously described, which is referred to in your extract as "from then on".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In "From then on, every day after school," "then" is a Thursday. We don't know which Thursday from the given context, but it doesn't matter. Six days after that Thursday was the following Wednesday. If she started practicing with the cigar on Thursday, July 2, she was able to lift it and move it around on the evening of Wednesday, July 8.

songD

korean
    It's only the single word "by" that means "before".

The rather curious question about "by the following" suggests you think those three word belong together. They don't.
    What belongs together is "the following Wednesday evening". This means the Wednesday evening that followed (i.e. the Wednesday evening after) the event previously described, which is referred to in your extract as "from then on".
    really helpful

< Previous | Next >