sixty-drum trashcan?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Pixiecorpse, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Pixiecorpse New Member

Swedish - Sweden
    This is a line from Triptych by Karin Slaughter, regarding work at a carwash:

"[He] started folding the towels, piling them up in a rolling sixty-drum trashcan so they could move them around the cars as they worked."

What does "sixty-drum" refer to in this context? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

2. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
  3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I can't imagine what a "sixty-drum trash can" would be. Trash cans don't contain smaller individual containers, let alone sixty of them. A trash can that was subdivided into sixty smaller containers would be a poor choice for holding towels, too. However, trash cans are often shaped like drums and described that way, as mentioned in the previous post, and 60 gallons (about 225 liters) is a common size for trash cans and would be suitable for this purpose. I suspect this is a phrasing error that the book's editor didn't catch.

4. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    I agree; the author probably meant to refer to a 55-gallon drum on casters that was used as a trash can.

5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    There are 60-gallon drums as well (I Googled to be sure. :)). It looks like an editing error in changing "60-gallon drum" to "60-gallon trashcan."

6. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I agree, except that shipping drums, that are often used to hold trash, come in come in 30 gallon and 55 gallon sizes. They make "open head" and "tight head" styles. The drum below on the far right is a "tight head" drum. The other two are "open head" and come
    with a separate lid.

Are we certain that the quote is accurate? I Googled it and only found this thread.

[​IMG]

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It appears to be quoted correctly (link to book, p. 378).

8. Pixiecorpse New Member

Swedish - Sweden
    Thank you all!