size isn't everything

nydag

Spanish
Here I go again...

I suppose "size isn't everything" is an idiom. I mean, apart from the obvious (I've found a lot of entries in google), does it mean also something like:

"though it is not what I asked for, it is so kind of you"??

Does it make any sense?

Thanks in advance!

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I would not use it like that and it is not an idiomatic use, at least in AE. It sounds petulant and rude to me. "Well, it's not very big or very nice, but at least you got me something." :(

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    I don't know if there's really a way of saying "though it is not what I asked for, it is so kind of you" that's not at least a little rude or sarcastic.

You could use it in the sense that you ask someone for a 2-litre bottle of pop and they bring you a 500ml bottle.
    "It was the small one you asked for?"
    "No, but it's fine anyway. Size isn't everything."

liliput

U.K. English
    The expression must refer literally to the size; you couldn't use it if something was the wrong colour for example. Although it could refer to any object there is always a hint of sexual innuendo with this expression.

sasmith

British English
    The continuation of this 'idiom' which can also be used for more 'respectable' meanings, is 'size isn't everything - it's what you do with it that matters'.

nydag

Spanish
    The thing is that context tells me the phrase is referred to colour... that's why I thought it had a different meaning.

Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >