skating ring/skating rink

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi there,

I wonder about the difference between skating ring and skating rink in English-speaking world. Does the fomer always have to be a round shape? The pictures on Google seem not to appear so. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • I concur with cyberpedant: I have never heard of a "skating ring"; I have only heard of a "skating rink".

Note that things that are called rings do not have to be round; for example, a "boxing ring" is actually square.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you all.

What's the context, kenny?
    Not too much. The subject of the show is about circus ring, and then that English teacher said there is a commonly used term in English, which is "skating ring". It seems that He may have been wrong. He isn't a native English speaker.

All right, I'm going to re-listen that show to make sure I wasn't misheard...

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Back from that program. I was not misheard. He spelled it out "ring", so...he needs to come over here to learn more.**

bbbobbbo

Romanian, Romania
    I'd also like to point that a simple search on Google Images by the words "skating rinG" will turn an impressive half million results, while "skating rinK" will reveal nearly 1 million.

Judging from that, someone might be wrongly led to think there are 2 different terms with slightly different meanings, well my guess is many people around the world may have picked up the wrong spelling at one point and have since perpetuated the mistake.

It's also hard to tell from pronunciation only "ring" vs "rink" since they're uttered almost identically.

And notice "ice rinG" will get you 7 million Google images (!!!) whereas the correct "ice rinK" only 1.5 million.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Google check.
    71,900 for "skating ring (13,800 images)1,540,000 for "skating rink (286,000 images)70,100 for "ice ring (9,750 images)1,500,000 for "ice rink (304,900 images)

Once again, pointing out the importance of using quotation marks when you are searching for a phrase.

Lcoq19

English
    I know this thread is very old and not all users may still access it, but I just wanted to say that, growing up in the Southern US in the 90's, I went to a lot of birthday parties at what was always referred to as the "skating ring". It's most likely a regional malapropism- that is to say, a word which sounds similar to the intended word but does not mean the same thing.

Another similar example from the region from which I hail is the common use of "Cadillac converter" when one means "catalytic converter". One time, I was with someone who claimed to be "raised and versed in all things Southern" at the "parts house" (local parlance for the "automotive parts store") and the young man behind the counter was telling us about a friend of his having gone to a store in a nearby city and when he returned to his truck, he cranked it and it was making an awful sound. So he turned it off and crawled underneath to look and, the guy said, "when he was in the store, someone had stolen his Cadillac converter!" This person who'd accompanied me to the store said, rather nonchalantly, "oh, we don't have to worry about that! We don't have a Cadillac!" 😂😂 that poor young man looked at me like he was so embarrassed for them that he wanted to crawl under the counter and hide in shame! Lol! I know that was a bit of a tangent but it was too funny not to include! Haha!