skeleton in the closet

suelam11

Cantonese
I want to use the idiom "skeleton in the closet". I want to say I am embarrassed to have someone looked at my photo, in which my hairstyle was really bad. I did not expect people to find out I once had such hairstyle. Is the sentence correct if to say "This old hairstyle of mine was a skeleton in the closet?"

• Barque

Tamil
    A skeleton in the closet normally refers to something in your life that you don't want others to know of, because it would reflect poorly on you.
    I did not expect people to find out I once had such hairstyle. Is the sentence correct if to say "This old hairstyle of mine was a skeleton in the closet?"
    It's not really the sort of context that idiom is used in, but it could work as a joking way of saying that your old hairstyle was so bad, it was a crime.:)

lingobingo

English - England
    I agree – that’s not an appropriate context for such an expression. A skeleton in the closet is usually something much more serious. For example, a woman never telling her husband that he’s not the natural father of one of their children, or a man in a high-profile position having bribed someone to keep quiet about an affair that could ruin his career.

< Previous | Next >