skewed by

isabel...

Spanish
Hi. Can anyone confirm if in this sentence skew means distort please? The text is about an airport works.

ave. rate/m2 is skewed by "green areas" which is lower cost to pavements

The green areas are the areas located between the taxiways and runways.

Thanks in advance,

• Myridon

English - US
    I'm not sure how "avenue rate per square meter" could be skewed because I don't know what it is. Is the word rate? If it is, what is it the rate of? Could you provide more context and make sure you've transcribed it correctly? "Cost to pavements" is wrong as well.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think ave is being used as a shortened form of average. However, it looks as though this was not written by a native speaker, so I agree we need more context and information on where this text came from.

isabel...

Spanish
    I think ave is being used as a shortened form of average. However, it looks as though this was not written by a native speaker, so I agree we need more context and information on where this text came from.
    Yes. It is average. It is supposed to be written by a English native speaker as the text comes from London, UK. Rate is related to costs. The company is defining the cost estimate of the works and equipment.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Just because it comes from London doesn't mean it was written by a native English speaker :D "lower cost than pavements" would be correct in the sentence

"The average rate we charge to build each square meter of the airport is affected by (skewed by) the fact that it costs less to create green areas than it does to pave areas for planes (runways and taxiways).

I'm not sure "distorted" is a perfect synonym but influenced/affected/skewed all carry a similar sense. (The greater the percentage of green areas, the lower the average cost of surface preparation)

isabel...

Spanish
    Just because it comes from London doesn't mean it was written by a native English speaker :D "lower cost than pavements" would be correct in the sentence

"The average rate we charge to build each square meter of the airport is affected by (skewed by) the fact that it costs less to create green areas than it does to pave areas for planes (runways and taxiways).

I'm not sure "distorted" is a perfect synonym but influenced/affected/skewed all carry a similar sense. (The greater the percentage of green areas, the lower the average cost of surface preparation)
    Thanks JulianStuart.

< Previous | Next >