skirrett ?

< Previous | Next >



Can you tell me what a skirrett is? I know it's a kind of tool,but I don't know exactly what it is. I have to translate the following sentence:

"3rd Degree -- Skirrett, Pencil, and the Compasses

These are the tools of the Master Mason."

Any suggestions?
  • panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Look down the page HERE and you'll find a picture and an explanation of what it does.

    Alternatively, it is a perennial umbelliferous plant, Sium sisarum, a species of water parsnip, formerly much cultivated in Europe for its esculent tubers; or the root of this plant.

    Note that it is spelt skirret.
    < Previous | Next >