skittish and airy

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
Hello!

What would be the difference in the one of the meanings of these two words which seem to be the same in a sense of easiness, lightness, irresponsibility or playfully frivolous (the later I took from the dictionary as a meaning of skittish)

My skittish/airy friend is always late for the meeting.
But would you say: he had a skittish / airy fancy ? or they are not interchangeably and more of an addition to each other?

Thank you!

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It's very interesting that the dictionary says that skittish means "playful, lively or frivolous" because I've never heard it used this way - not even once, as far as I can remember. Perhaps it does mean this in other varieties of English, but in AmE, what it always means, as far as I know, is "difficult to handle or predict."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hello!

What would be the difference in the one of the meanings of these two words which seem to be the same in a sense of easiness, lightness, irresponsibility or playfully frivolous (the later I took from the dictionary as a meaning of skittish)

My skittish/airy friend is always late for the meeting.
    But would you say: he had a skittish / airy fancy ? or they are not interchangeably and more of an addition to each other?

Thank you!
    For a question like this, you should identify the specific dictionary where you found the definitions you then ask a question about. The guidelines require you to provide the source for such things.

< Previous | Next >