sky street

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
index.jpg

Hello,
What is this called in English? A big place where many sky streets meet each other.

Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    We call sky streets "elevated highways". These are all highways, and many of them are elevated (raised above the ground). I would call the thing in your picture (in post #1) a "complicated interchange". It seems to have many ramps. Maybe it is where 3 or 4 highways all cross each other.

I don't know any English word for "a place where many highways go over each other".

A place where roads hit each other (not over or under) is an "intersection". Often there is a traffic light there.

A place where you change from one highway to another (just 2 highways) is an "interchange". Many of those are shaped like a clover, as in these 2 pictures. There are 2 highways (the straight parts). The other short roads are access ramps, to let drivers on one highway switch to the other highway without stopping.
    clover interchange.jpeganother interhange.jpeg

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We also say spaghetti junction:
    A complex multi-level road junction (in the UK, applied typically to a major traffic interchange on the M6 near Birmingham)
    ‘we drove non-stop to Manchester, using the new M6 toll road to bypass Spaghetti Junction’
    ‘a system of spaghetti junctions’
    Spaghetti Junction | Definition of Spaghetti Junction by Lexico

I see there is a Wikipedia article too: Spaghetti junction - Wikipedia

It says that in North America, mixing bowl, knot, or maze are also used, and the term in Japan is tentacle junction.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would call it an interchange. I don't think there is a special word in American English for an especially complex interchange.

There is also a large highway interchange in Atlanta known by everyone as Spaghetti Junction.

This is from the Wikipedia entry:
    The interchange's nickname comes from that of Gravelly Hill Junction in Birmingham, UK, which had opened fifteen years previously and been given the nickname "Spaghetti Junction" by locals.

< Previous | Next >