Slacks and a great sports coat will be fine.

< Previous | Next >

Ovidius

Banned
Hallo,

Ich möchte wissen, wie man dieses Englishe Wort "fine" in dieser Zusammenhang übersetzen kann. Es betrifft in bestimmten Situationen, die korrekte Kleidung zu tragen.

Wie sagt es auf Deutsch?

Vielen Dank im Voraus.

• djweaverbeaver

NYC
    English Atlanta, GA USA
    Sportliche Kleidung ist erwünscht / zulässig / in Ordnung.
    Um sportlich-korrekte Bekleidung wird gebeten.
    I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with "Sportliche Kleidung". Ovidius's sentence describes business casual attire. A sport(s) coat [U.S.,Can., Aus., NZ] or a sports jacket [U.K.] is, as Schimmelreiter has pointed out, a German Sakko. It's a standard part of informal dress, and it's very similar to the blazer, only more casual, although even that line has been blurring over time.

Slacks are for all intents and purpose the same thing as dress pants in the U.S., but it can mean any sort of pants with a pleat in them (ie. not denim jeans). Just like the sports coat or blazer, they are sold separately, so they're not a suit. I'm not really sure with the German word for this is. I'd suggest Anzughose, except at least for the English term, as already explained, these pants are never sold as part of a suit.

The two of these are items one might wear in an informal setting, but they are still more formal than casual wear.

I hope this helps you to understand the terms better.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    Anzughose
    That's the tricky part. We don't call it this unless it's part of an Anzug. It boils down to Keine Jeans, which I don't think sounds overly nice. You might end up having people in their briefs or worse. That's probably why I increasingly see
    business casual
    at the bottom of a German text.

Ist es denn eine reine Jungsveranstaltung?

Wenn Du im Deutschen nicht Business casual sagen willst, kommt vielleicht doch
    Herren: Sakko (Bitte keine Jeans.)
    oder als ganzer Satz
    Herren tragen, bitte, Sakko (keine Jeans).
    in Betracht.

Aber was ist mit den Damen?

Für beide Geschlechter wärst Du mit Business casual fein raus.

Last edited:

Dan2

US
    English (US)
    Do you mean, "and a gray sports coat"? I wouldn't expect "great" here.
    Sportliche Kleidung ist erwünscht / zulässig / in Ordnung.
    Um sportlich-korrekte Bekleidung wird gebeten.
    Herren bitte mit Sakko. :)
    "will be fine" is colloquial and means "will be OK", "will be acceptable". So Frieder's "zulässig / in Ordnung" are good translations. But "erwünscht", "wird gebeten" and "Herren bitte ..." are quite different.

So the invitation says, "Proper dress required" or "Gentlemen will please ..." and my wife says to me, "Oh your gray jacket will be fine." The English-language invitation corresponding to a German one saying "... wird gebeten" or "Herren bitte ..." would never read "... will be fine".

Also: djwb's post suggests that "sports jacket" is UK only, whereas I've often heard Americans use this expression.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    ... and as we may remember, our thread author wanted to know what to do with the word "fine".

However, to answer that, I'd like to know if we are talking about the formal written invitation or if somebody is just asking someone what to wear and then gets this answer?

< Previous | Next >