Slangish

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I was shocked to see there is no entry of "slangish" in dictionaries just a moment ago. I checked dozens of dictionaries, but none doesn't list it. Does that mean I should regard it as sub-standard? I've seen and heard it often used, and you get a lot of results returned on Google (but then again I know it doesn't necessarily mean it is an idiomatic word; there may be a lot of websites rendered by non-natives included). The word is straightforward, so maybe it is used as a coined word?

Hiro

• GDAN

english
    I've never heard nor used the word before. If I had to guess its meaning ,I would think that the one you gave is correct.
    In regards to that word not being in your dictionary, that may be a good thing. It's bad enough that a made up word used by a cartoon character made it into some dictionaries.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I've never seen nor heard this term. It looks to me like it might be a misprint for "Spanglish," a slang term for a mixture of Spanish and English.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    slangish gets at least 182 hits in a WR forum search, not counting the two posts in this thread. It appears in the foreign language forums, but also in this one. Here are a few examples:While these were posted by non-native speakers, there seems to be no problem in understanding the coinage. In the instances I saw, native speakers responded to the question without commenting on the word itself.

Added: Here is the earliest use in the EO forum, from April, 2005: Re: Lord of the Flies Essay.
    The earliest post on SlangOnline.com seems to be in March of 2006.

I think the suffix -ish is sufficiently familiar that slangish would have been spontaneously coined in many places.

Last edited:

MichaelW

English (British)
    The slangonline website has a line

"Tonight on Slang, more of the Slangish idioms and expressions..."

So I assume it follows "Spanglish" and other formations from "Engl-ish" as if it were a sort of language.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    [....]
    So I assume it follows "Spanglish" and other formations from "Engl-ish" as if it were a sort of language.
    Yes, that is a good point. This is different from the way it is used in these forums, where I understand it to be an adjective meaning approximately "slang-like, tinged by slang".

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    slangish:
    First recorded in 1813.
    Somewhat slangy.
    slangy:
    First recorded in 1842.
    Of language, etc.: Pertaining to, of the nature of, slang.
    (OED)

< Previous | Next >