Slant/slanting eyes

Hotmale

Polish
Hello,
Which adjective is correct: "slant" or "slanting"? Could this be that they are interchangeable?

"To refer to
Asians as having slant/slanting eyes is offensive."

Thank you

• mally pense

England, UK English
    Given that both forms are (or have been) used, it might be better to say 'To refer to Asians as having "slant eyes" or "slanting eyes" is offensive'.

The quotes would indicate that you are only indicating actual usage, regardless of grammatical (or moral, ethical, etc.) correctness.

Note. In actual use, deplorable as it may be, there is often a hyphen used in the first expression.

mally pense

England, UK English
    True, but you can use a noun as an adjective, particularly if joined with a hyphen.

However, I think the grammatical correctness is not really at issue here because I'm sure no-one here would actively be using one of these expressions other than to quote them in actual use, and obviously in quoting one takes what has gone before, regardless of its correctness or otherwise.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Could it be that slant eye means someone of Asian origin whereas, slanting eye a "type" of eye?

Tom

mally pense

England, UK English
    In my opinion, and maybe other people's too, eyes don't slant. That's a misconception that has led to the sort of offence being caused that's referred to in the original sentence. Unless we're talking about extra-terrestrials of course, though even then it might be advisable to ensure that such descriptions were not being used in a way which might be considered derogatory.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Well, the thing is that you can find them both in the dictonaries. I don't know whether eyes slant or not, as from my standpoint it is hard to determine how things work in a foreign language. Probably, the usage has become offensive because people started to perceive it as such.
    My real point is, nevertheless, to determine whether the distinction I wrote about in my previous post really exists or it's just a misconception (without offending anyone).

Tom

mally pense

England, UK English
    No, I don't think that distinction exists. All variations of this term (there are more than the two you've cited) have been used to refer to this racial stereotype.

< Previous | Next >