Slaps

< Previous | Next >

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
Dear friends!

- If he dares to take liberties with you again, just give him many slaps.
- Is this sentence natural?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• tepatria

Canadian English
    I would not say give him many slaps. I think I'd say slap him silly - but this is a slang expression that conveys your meaning. You may not want to use slang. We also say slap him around.

Packard

USA, English
    "Bitch-slap him." (More noise than pain, often with warning and a flourish. Not usually intended to do much damage--except to the male ego.)

"Pimp-slap him." (No warning, and powerfully delivered either fore-handed or backhanded. Pain and some damage is intended.)

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Dear friends!

- If he dares to take liberties with you again, just give him many slaps.
    - Is this sentence natural?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    This is my version:

--If he tries it again, give/teach him a lesson! (I assume this is in the middle of some conversation)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    - If he dares to take liberties with you again, just give him many slaps. NamLan

To keep it simple:

If he takes liberties with you again, just slap his face!

(And hope he's not the kind of guy who hits back.)

Truthfully, it should be written:
    If he takes liberties with you again, call the cops.

As you can see, from a feminist point of view, I'm having a hard time with the whole subject. Sorry...

AngelEyes

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "To take liberties" is a very old-fashioned expression. I would say "If he gets fresh with you" or "if he tries something funny with you", or "if he tries to take advantage of you." I also don't like the "many slaps".

I think the natural version that I would expect is:
    If he gets fresh with you again (or tries something with you again) like that, just smack him.

< Previous | Next >