sleep well

Kelev

United States Enligsh/Hebrew
I don’t have a specific dialect in mind. Anything understandable is fine :)

It would be great if you could put it in English letters and Chinese character’s please.

Thanks in advance.

• Mickeyboy

China Chinese
    It can be used in different situations with different meanings, it can also be used as: 睡个好觉。

jiey

Chinese dialect
    How about "好好睡"?
    That is also a possibility from my point of view, like in the below scene:

Baby sitter: Chris, :DDon't be naughty, please sleep well.

It can be translated in your way: 好好睡觉,不要捣乱或者辗转反侧、胡思乱想(not to interrupt others or not to make yourself uncomfortable by any other activities inappropriate for a good sleep)

cbaker

USA, English
    My favorite is 睡得香。Without more context, we can't know if you intend "sleep well" as a suggestion to the listener (in which case I think 晚安 would be appropriate).

fall_ark

China, Mandarin
    My favorite is 睡得香。Without more context, we can't know if you intend "sleep well" as a suggestion to the listener (in which case I think 晚安 would be appropriate).
    The phrase "verb + 得 + adv." is seldomly used independently as a "wish". It almost always acts as an encouragement/acknowledgement:

做得好。(You've done well. / Good job.)
    射得漂亮!(Great shot! - as in football/basketball)

But you could put words like "些" or "点" following it to change the sentence into an imperative, like:

跑得快点(儿)! (Run faster!)
    吃得好些。(Have yourself a nice meal. / Eat properly. - Mostly from parents to their child, or between a couple when they'll be separate for a while)
    Still, these sentences act more like a command/warning or exhortation than a wish, so generally you don't use "v.+ 得 +adv." unless you are very close to a person or you are influential to him in that way.

And of course you can use it in a complete sentence, such as:
    祝你睡得好/香甜。

Anyway, I don't think "睡得香" is used very often.....kind of strange to me at least.

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    Yes you're right, fall_ark. "睡得香" is used to describe "happily sleeping". It is not used as wishes.
    We can use it to say "I've slept well last night." But we cannot use it to say "Sleep tight, sweet dreams". :) Sorry about not being clear.:)

< Previous | Next >