Sleepy movement

< Previous | Next >

Man_from_India

India
We often see that the person who is too sleepy but could not manage to lie down to sleep due to various reasons often moves in a particular fashion when seated, some even moves this way when stood as well.

What is this movement is called?

N.B - Just for a quick guidance:
Like "when seated" can I say "when stood"?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We often see that the person who is too sleepy but could not manage to lie down to sleep due to various reasons often moves in a particular fashion when seated, some even move this way when stood standing as well.

What is this movement called?
    I would say: moves sluggishly

Just for quick guidance:
    Like "when seated" can I say "when stood"?
    No. See above.

Man_from_India

India
    Well. I am trying to describe a situation to clear things up:
    "We often see small children at night were sleepy during studying and they were rebuked by their parents if they stop studying. The children sometimes seen unknowingly closed their eyes and and for a brief second fell asleep. During this time their head or some portion of body bends, and the next moments they become conscious and wake up"

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I would say that their heads "lolled." (Their heads lean forward as they fall asleep, but then snap back up when they wake up again.)

When standing, though, I wouldn't expect the same movement - sleepy walking, to me, implies "shuffling," but that might not be true for everyone.

PS. Obviously ewie's "nodding off" makes perfect sense here too.

ewie

English English
    Yes, loll is good for the involuntary head movement (though it's possible to do that when you're not sleepy).

NB, Lucas: I said nodding, not nodding off. (The latter to me means 'falling asleep':))

< Previous | Next >