Sleeves

Vee.

Italiano
Ciao a tutti!

Leggendo un romanzo ho trovato questo scambio di battute che non riesco a interpretare. Una nonna e la nipote ventenne stanno parlando di vecchie storie di famiglia mentre guardano una collana appartenuta a un'antenata:

M: “It belonged to my mother. I used to know the significance. I can’t remember now. But it will come back to me. By then, we won’t care. Old age is terrible.”
A: “There has to be something good about getting old.”
M. thought about it. “Sleeves.”
A. laughed.

Vista la reazione della nipote, che ride, immagino che sia una battuta. La nonna è una signora anziana, amareggiata dallo scorrere del tempo e con un umorismo pungente.

Cosa sono queste "sleeves"? Maniche? Tatuaggi che coprono il braccio? Le ho pensate tutte, ma i significati "tradizionali" che trovo su monolingue e bilingue non mi aiutano. Sono io che non colgo qualcosa?

Grazie a chiunque mi aiuterà!

• MR1492

English -USA
    If you think about it, we develop “liver spots”, our muscles lose their tone, and we feel chilly as we age. So, as the older woman rightly says, sleeves are one of the best things about growing older. It can be funny after thought but it also just sounds like a non sequitor that might induce a laugh.

Phil

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I agree with rrose and MR. I found this on the Internet:

Sleeves for Older Women: Must We Really?

Jane Fonda recently bemoaned her supposed batwings on “Grace and Frankie” by wiggling her underarms back and forth, pretending they actually had fat on them. She’s in her 70s, and they barely moved. I’ll bet that if she actually did have underarm flab, she wouldn’t have been showing it off.

Like gray hair, flabby or wrinkled upper arms are one of the signs of age that women think they have to cover up — but plenty of women who’ve chosen to reveal the gray still hide those arms.

The question is, should we? By covering up, aren’t we buying into someone else’s definition of what’s unattractive — or trying to “pass”?