Sliced Pan

Neever

Ireland
Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if other English speakers use or understand what sliced pan is? I was catching up with old friends the other day, and they reminded me of the time, while living in Spain, that I requested bread other than sliced pan when someone was going to the shop.

The others, all non-Irish English speakers laughed, because they thought I was coining new Spanglish terms - sliced bread mixed with the Spanish pan - but I wasn't! sliced pan is just pre-sliced (plastic, dare I say?) bread, a completely normal and common way of describing it. Is it just us Irish who use the term, or were my friends the odd ones out?!

Neever

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    The pan-ness of the bread is irrespective of its slicedness.
    The loaf of bread is called a pan - and I would hazard a guess that the French "pain" is involved in the etymology.

Neever

Ireland
    Yes, that etymology would make sense, but I'd never pop down to spar for some pan, only for some sliced pan!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Forget the French etymology.
    The pan loaf is a loaf baked in a pan - or a tin, when it is a tin loaf.
    The alternative (in the days when there was only one) was a plain loaf, or batch loaf.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    panjandrum said:
    Forget the French etymology.
    The pan loaf is a loaf baked in a pan - or a tin, when it is a tin loaf.
    The alternative (in the days when there was only one) was a plain loaf, or batch loaf.

Did youse up there not get "a turnover" from the Ormo? I've seen sliced turnover.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Was the "batch loaf" not the square one which had big dimple in the top made by the baker's thumb, and which had not browned on the sides, being torn apart from the rest of the 'batch' in which it was made?

The "turnover" I recall was twice as tall at one end than at the other. It had one-third of the dough folded back onto itself. This had torn-off sides also, but the front and back of it were crusted.