slightly more conservative

beauxyeux

italian italy
How would you translate this expression?

Our new house was slightly more conservative, even if it was a step up from what we'd had before

Un po' più tradizionale...

Could it be ironical? The context is a comparison with the protagonist's father's employer who was having a great success and lived like a lord.
He bought a huge mansion to relocate his company.

• Silvia B

Italy - Italian
    Tradurrei come "leggermente più tradizionale"

Non so se si possa considerare ironico, dipende molto dal contesto.
    Ma può darsi che qualche madrelingua riesca a cogliere qualche sfumatura in più.

Ciao!

Leo57

UK English
    Hi there. Depending on the context, of course, I agree that it could be ironical (we usually say sarcastic) in it's tone (in respect of someone else living in a mansion) and the clue here, I think, is the word "slightly". So, even though this house is better than the one we had before, it is "slightly" more conservative than the people moving into a mansion. The word slightly could be being used here instead of saying that it is a lot more conservative. (much more conservative, definitely more conservative, unfortunately I cannot give better examples)

However, conservative in any event means:
    traditional in style or manner, avoiding novelty or showiness (uncreative, unimaginative)

Regards Leo

beauxyeux

italian italy
    Hi there. Depending on the context, of course, I agree that it could be ironical (we usually say sarcastic) in it's tone (in respect of someone else living in a mansion) and the clue here, I think, is the word "slightly". So, even though this house is better than the one we had before, it is "slightly" more conservative than the people moving into a mansion. The word slightly could be being used here instead of saying that it is a lot more conservative. (much more conservative, definitely more conservative, unfortunately I cannot give better examples)

However, conservative in any event means:
    traditional in style or manner, avoiding novelty or showiness (uncreative, unimaginative)

Regards Leo
    Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >