slip may pass to the gastronemius muscle

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by aguileras, Dec 13, 2013.

  1. aguileras

    aguileras Senior Member

    "Look at the insertion of the biceps femoris into the head of the fibula and possibly to the lateral tibial condyle. A slip also may pass to the gastronemius in some individuals."

    Necesito la traducción exacta de "slip" en español.

    Collins dice que es "hernia", pero en la RAE se la define como: "1. f. Med. Protrusión o salida de parte de un órgano, como el intestino, de la estructura anatómica que normalmente la fija."

    Pero no me suena, ya que dice que el slip podría "pasar" al gastronemio.

    El slip muscular es descrito como una parte accesoria o variante de un músculo que tiene una trayectoria inusual de relativo crecimiento hacia la dirección de las fibras normales de crecimiento.

    Esta variante ocurre normalmente en el origen o inserción del músculo.

    Repito: lo que preciso es la palabra equivalente correcta en español.
  2. Txiri

    Txiri Senior Member

    USA English
    In English medical terminology, a muscle may in fact herniate. It doesn't have to be an organ.

    Here is a diagram of this type of surgery (in the category of surgical techniques in sports medicine). Diagram B shows: "Augmentation with a central slip of biceps femoris passed posteriorly around the remaining biceps and inserted into the distal lateral femur using a soft tissue washer." The following section goes on to say when the strength of the tissues of the patient don't allow B, one can use alternative procedures with the lateral gastrocnemius.

    The terminology seems fine. The slip (here) seems to be the connective tissue used to repair or replace (what, a damaged tendon? ligament?

    "Slip" can also refer to the movement of bone or muscle out of its normal, healthy position. See "slipped disc". Used as a noun, it certainly could refer to the pathology of being out of place. I think the link, though, is the more likely solution. Sorry I can't help you further.
  3. Bill Osler

    Bill Osler Senior Member

    North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    It is true that a muscle can herniate, but that has nothing to do with the use of "slip" in this context. The original post refers to a small connection of tissue which sometimes is normal (eg: the "central slip" of the finger), other times might be an anatomic variation. The examples that come to mind all refer to a tendon but I don't know if that is the only use.
    I don't know the correct term in Spanish. I wonder if "fascículo" might work but I am not confident of that since the cognate "fascicle" refers to muscle fibers, not tendons, and none of my dictionaries or other resources has been helpful in this case.
    In any event, I think unless we have input from an expert that aguileras is right to question the use of "hernia" in this context.

Share This Page