Slippy-sloppy

Jeannine

France
Thanks to anyone who could translate this sentence, please.
' The water was all slippy-sloppy in the larder and in the back passage'
thanks so much

• Laurinou

France, French, English, Italian
    Salut Jeannine,

Voici ce que j'ai trouve:
    Reduplicated or Ricochet Words are word combinations that create intensifying force, for example ... chit-chat, click-clack, clitter-clatter, dilly-dally, ding-dong, drip-drop, flim-flam, fiddle-faddle, flip-flop, fliffy-fluffy, flippity-floppity, handy-pandy, harum-scarum, helter-skelter, hibbledy-hobbledy, higgledy-piggledy, hob-nob, hodge-podge, hoity-toity, hurly-burly, mish-mash, namby-pamby, niddy-noddy, niminy-piminy, nosy-posy, pell-mell, pit-pat, pitter-patter, randem-tandem, randy-dandy, ribble-rabble, riff-raff, roly-poly, rusty-fusty-crusty, see-saw, shilly-shally, slip-slop, slish-slosh, snick-snack, spitter-spatter, splitter-splutter, squish-squash, teeny-tiny, tick-tack, tilly-valley, tiny-totty, tip-top, tittle-tattle, wee-wee, wiggle-waggle, widdy-waddy, widdle-waddle, wibble-wobble, wish-wash, wishy-washy; besides a host of rhyming synonyms, as bawling-squawling, mewling-pewling, whisky-frisky, musty-fusty, gawky-pawky, slippy-sloppy, rosy-posy, right and tight, wear and tear, high and mighty, etc. ... and many more with the Anglo-Saxon letter-rhyme, as safe and sound, etc.

"...and suffer permanent indigestion caused by their slippysloppy grass diet"

Peut-etre cela t'aidera-t-il un peu ? Je viens de demander a une native anglaise et elle ne sait pas, elle suppose que c'est de l'argot.
    Bon courage,
    Laure.

Jeannine

France
    Il s'agit d'un conte par Oscar Wilde. Voici le texte:
    ONCE upon a time there was a frog called Mr. Jeremy Fisher; he lived in a little damp house amongst the buttercups at the edge of a pond.
    The water was all slippy-sloppy in the larder and in the back passage. But Mr. Jeremy liked getting his feet wet; nobody ever scolded him, and he never caught a cold! He was quite pleased when he went out, and saw large drops of rain, splashing in the pond –"I will get some worms and go fishing and catch a dish of minnows for my dinner." said Mr. Jeremy Fisher. If I catch more than five fish, I will invite my friends Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise and Sir Isaac Newton. The Alderman, however, eats salad."
    Merci d'avanceslippy-sloppy

Laurinou

France, French, English, Italian
    THE TALE OF
    MR. JEREMY FISHER

[For Stephanie
    from Cousin B.]

"
    Once upon a time there was a frog
    called Mr. Jeremy Fisher; he lived in a
    little damp house amongst the
    buttercups at the edge of a pond.

The water was all slippy-sloppy in
    the larder and in the back passage.

But Mr. Jeremy liked getting his feet
    wet; nobody ever scolded him, and he
    never caught a cold!

"
    Etc...

Amityville

English UK
    C'est un conte de Beatrix Potter qui écrivait pour les enfants. Slippy-sloppy suggère les bruissements d'eau, de petites vaguelettes dans la maison de Jeremy Fisher, la grenouille. Le mot resonne et te rappelle de slippy et sloppy aussi. Tout ça convient aux grenouilles et aux enfants.

< Previous | Next >