sloppy joe

• raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    We can find descriptions of the sloppy joe as follows:

Basically Sloppy Joe’s is a hamburger chopped up with all the typical burger ingredients cooked together. Once cooked it creates a luscious mound of succulent meat that drips off your bun and oftentimes down your chin! It brings me right back to my childhood, when days were carefree. Remember those?

Childhood Favorite - Best Sloppy Joe's - At Home with Vicki Bensinger

Last edited:

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    Basically Sloppy Joe’s is a hamburger chopped up with all the typical burger ingredients cooked together.
    Here basically means "this is not really true, but is similar to what is true".

Hamburgers are cooked patties of ground beef. Sloppy joes are cooked ground beef (not patties, not chopped up).
    Sloppie joe's contain a special sauce. This sauce is not used on hamburgers. You can purchase this sauce in stores.

Do you consider the sloppy joe a sandwich or a hamburger?
    A sloppy joe is one kind of sandwich. It is often served on a bun (pic1) but I often eat it on bread.

Sloppy joe filling is similar to meaty spaghetti sauce (served on pasta) and chili (served in a bowl).
    They are all very common US meals.

sj1.jpg
    sj8.jpg
    js8.jpg

Myridon

English - US
    When you make a sloppy joe, it's never been a hamburger patty. You make the sauce from loose ground beef.
    You cook this:
    1652927304035.png

into this:
    1652927332815.png

Then add the tomato sauce.

Attachments

• 1652927279002.png
      1652927279002.png
      53.5 KB · Views: 5

kentix

English - U.S.
    You could probably make it out of an uncooked hamburger patty (probably several) but it's a wasted step if you have a package of ground beef. However, if you bought pre-made patties you could break them up to make sloppy joes.

images (3).jpeg

When finished, it's not a piece of meat, though. It's a (sloppy, loose) mixture of things, including meat. You scoop up a portion with a big spoon or something like that and put it on the bun.

how-to-make-sloppy-joes-800x1200.jpg

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    So is a sloppy joe just the meat sauce? And you can spoon it onto a bun, or bread, or rice, or mash, or pasta?

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    "Sloppy Joe" is the name of the sandwich. It got the name from "Sloppy Joe's Restaurant" which served this.
    In some parts of the US, ground beef sandwiches are popular at restaurants, even without sauce on the beef.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, "a sloppy joe" is this (mildly) spicy cooked meat mixture served on a bun. Of course, people are creative and can do whatever they want, but if your mother tells you you are having sloppy joes for dinner, this is what the standard expectation is:

Sloppy-Joes-Sandwiches_EXPS_DIYD19_31740_B05_14_2b.jpg

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    So is a sloppy joe just the meat sauce? And you can spoon it onto a bun, or bread, or rice, or mash, or pasta?
    Unlike a hamburger, a sloppy joe doesn't behave itself and stay on the bun where it belongs -- it drips. I usually put it on mash, so I can eat it with a spoon.

kentix

English - U.S.
    a sloppy joe doesn't behave itself and stay on the bun where it belongs -- it drips
    Yes, it's a bit of a balancing act with the moisture. It needs to be moist to hang together but not so runny that it slides off the bun.