Slouch vs hunch

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hi there
Please imagine someone draws their shoulders towards each other and lowers their chin towards their chest. What they are doing? For more clarification please have a look on my added pics and let me know what a mother should say to her children when they "sit" or "stand" like these: enter image description hereenter image description here

1.a. Don't slouch. Sit straight.
1.b. Don't hunch. Sit straight.
1.c. Don't hunch over. Sit straight.

and

2.a. Don't slouch. Stand straight.
2.b. Don't hunch. Stand straight.
2.c. Don't hunch over. Stand straight.

Bringing up this question I needed to enquire whether these verbs mean the same and are interchangeable or not. If not, then how do they differ in meaning, connotation and usage?

Also, I wonder what are the standard forms of these two sentences?

Attachments

• Chez

English English
    Both of your pictures show hunching. Slouching would be more like someone leaning back or half-lying on a sofa. The people in your pictures are concentrating on something which makes them bend forwards. Slouching tends to suggest paying no attention to anything, lazing. You can slouch when you walk, which might mean having your shoulders drooped and your hands in your pockets, looking at the ground - but the sloucher is not usually intent on something like your examples.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Both of your pictures show hunching. Slouching would be more like someone leaning back or half-lying on a sofa. The people in your pictures are concentrating on something which makes them bend forwards. Slouching tends to suggest paying no attention to anything, lazing. You can slouch when you walk, which might mean having your shoulders drooped and your hands in your pockets, looking at the ground - but the sloucher is not usually intent on something like your examples.
    Thank you Chez for your good information. <——-Additional question removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Just one more question Chez

Could you please tell me what is the nuance between "hunch" and "hunch over" as I brought it up as a separated option?
    Thank you

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >