Slovak: Či vieme uniesť príbeh vášní

CarlitosMS

Spanish - Spain
Hello everybody

I would like to know the meaning of this sentence, since "uniesť príbeh vášní" has several meanings and senses.

Context:
Láska je silná, skúša nás
Či vieme uniesť, príbeh vášní
Tak prosím pomôž, nech dokážem Ťa nájsť
Ak Ťa mám
(Kým nás máš, Marcel Palonder)

All the best
Carlos M.S.

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    I read "uniesť" as "to bear/endure/put up with X"
    uniesť unesie unesú dok.

1. i nedok. mať schopnosť niesť: (ne)u-ie kufor kníh, výťah u-ie tri osoby
    2. i nedok. zvládnuť, zniesť (ako ťarchu, záväzok ap.): u. (finančné) náklady, nemôže u. toľko povinností
    Source: Krátky slovník slovenského jazyka 4 z r. 2003

...and "príbeh" as "adventure" (or "a wild/exciting episode of X")
    románik p. román
    román, -u m.

2. hovor. ľúbostný príbeh, ľúbostné dobrodružstvo: prežívať, prežiť r.;
    Podobne sa bol začal i jej román s riaditeľom Snopkom.
    (Krno);
    Source: Slovník slovenského jazyka z r. 1959 – 1968

Last edited:

CarlitosMS

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you very much for your kind answers, but I think the sentence "uniesť príbeh vášní" makes no sense. I don't know if it is translated as "the story of passions" or "a story of passions".

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    It doesn't make sense to me either, as most songs don't.

Most Slavic languages don't have articles.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi CarlitosMS, perhaps it doesn't help to fixate too much on the word "story" (for príbeh) in this context. I agree with m_i's explanation in #3. 'Love is strong, it tests whether we can (vieme) handle / put up with / endure / bear (uniest') the story / episodes / adventures (príbeh) of our passion(s) (vášní). In English we need a determiner for "passions", and "our" here is the neutral "everyone's".
    This is another example of the observation I sometimes make, that Slavic (and Romance) languages often reach for an abstract noun (here 'príbeh') to express an idea which is more idiomatically expressed in English by a verbal or adverbial form of expression. Love is strong, it is a test of how we (can) handle the way our passions play themselves out.
    [Incidentally I don't think there is any syntactic reason to justify a comma after uniest'. Maybe it's just there to indicate a line break in the transcription of the song.]

Last edited:

morior_invictus

Slovak
    [...], but I think the sentence "uniesť príbeh vášní" makes no sense.
    You need to understand that the original lyrics were written in English and the song was composed way before the Slovak lyrics to it were written. Moreover, the Slovak lyrics were written by a poet Jozef Urban during one night.

Poems often make sense only to their composers (sometimes, especially when they drink alcohol or take drugs to get some inspiration, not even to them) and, as mentioned above, the author had to fit the lyrics into the existing song.

To expand on EM's post:

Láska je silná, skúša nás či vieme uniesť príbeh vášní ("vášne," as quoted below, are strong and powerful emotions into which we may tend to get carried and that may consume/inflict hardship on the parties involved so this line is, basically, saying that love is a test of strength of the parties involved to carry on through the episode of powerful emotions that accompany it without yielding to their pressure/weight; notice that the author wrote "love tests the strength of the parties involved" rather than "the parties involved test the strength of love")

Tak prosím pomôž, nech dokážem Ťa nájsť [so please help (me) find you (so that I can overcome these hardships and view the situation at hand/my partner.... in a positive light again/so that I don't fall out of love/so that the romantic relationship I'm in does not fade away, etc.]

Kým nás máš, chráň nás, svieť keď sny práve blúdia ["as long as you (, love,) have us" = "as long as we have you/love"; (during the time that we are captivated by you), protect us, be the light that shines in times when our dreams wander (in the darkness)]

vášeň -šne ž.
    1. prudký cit zbavujúci rozumovej kontroly: chorobná, slepá v., dať sa strhnúť v-ou
    2. prudká, náruživá citová náklonnosť, láska: v. k žene
    Source: Krátky slovník slovenského jazyka 4z r. 2003

There's also:

poetic license
    n.
    The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.
    American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing