Slovak: looking for a grammar book

Concise

Hungarian
mic.iom.sk lists several free learning resources that learners may find helpful including First Aid In Slovak (have a look - maybe you will find something interesting there that matches your learning style).
In the meantime I checked all of the resources that mic.iom.sk proposes. I didnt like them, e-slovak was the one which was the closest to my need.

I realized I just simply need a pure Slovak grammar book, which explains Slovak grammar and grammar-wise phenomena in details.

Preferably written in English.

Certainly I am looking for it NOT as a free resource, but something to be bought.

Btw I checked it, but there is no similar Slovak grammar book written in Hungarian, I was said that the book I started to use first is the one which is closest to being a Grammar book, but honestly it is far away from it.

Could someone please propose this sort of book I defined above ? I am even willing to take my car and go to Bratislava or any other Slovak city to grab it.

It could be new or used, it is not a factor I care of.

If this sort of book has been never published, then could somebody propose a Slovak grammar book written in Slovak, but one which is a bit easier to understand than the one we discussed earlier?

See the discussion:

That one is definitely pretty good :thumbsup:but, perhaps, a bit too technical.”

NOTE: I moved this post of mine from another thread (Original thread ) to create one dedicated to language resources.

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    I realized I just simply need a pure Slovak grammar book, which explains Slovak grammar and grammar-wise phenomena in details.

Preferably written in English.
    The following book written by prof. PhDr. Jozef Mistrík, DrSc. is a normative handbook of the Slovak language and was approved by the Department of Education (or Ministry of Education for those who prefer BrE or, well, CanE - depending on the province) as a university textbook:

MISTRÍK, J. A Grammar of Contemporary Slovak, 1988. p 158. (available at kupdf.net)

According to the book's preface, the book is destined to linguists possessing at least the rudiments of Slovak or of some other Slavonic language and able to use a Slovak-English dictionary. In many cases the examples are translated into English. This is omitted where the author assumes either the user's knowledge of the words or his ability to look them up in dictionary.

Does it mean that the book will be of no use to you? I don't think so but take a look if that's the kind of book you're looking for and if the text is easy for you to follow (or can become easy with a reasonable amount of effort).

I never had to approach the Slovak language as a foreigner so my knowledge of study materials aimed at foreigners is very limited.

Concise

Hungarian
    Thanks a lot, a real lot. It is exactly the style I was looking for.

This book is bit short, concise and as far as I could see within 10 minutes it says nothing about for example ethical dative. But I am sure it will “answer some of my headaches” and therefore I will have to address less questions of mine here.

Concise

Hungarian
    Unfortunately this book from 1988 says almost nothing about the typical (most frequent) meanings of aspectual prefixes either, so I had to look for another resources.

So far I found nothing, but a book about Czech grammar, which book has a sub-chapter 10.9.5 which discusses it a bit: http://utkl.ff.cuni.cz/~rosen/public/GGG/Czech_essent_grammar.pdf

Is it possible that there is really no written materials about Slovak language/grammar which explains it more deeply? I mean written in any major European languagues like English or German.