Slovak: Naproti čomu…?

Tisztul_A_Visztula

Hungarian
Is ‘ Naproti čomu stojí strom?´ a valid question in Slovak? Or just ‘Kde stojí strom?´?

I have to create a question where the answer will be ‘Strom stojí naproti domu.’

• Marek_D

Slovak
    See, personally, I would use "oproti"; not "naproti" :) but if I just had to answer your question, then yes you can say:

Kde stojí strom? :tick:

or

Naproti čomu stojí strom? :tick:

Although I think the most natural question-answer type of scenario, would be the first example; i.e.:
    Q: Kde stojí strom?
    A: Strom stojí naproti domu.

Tisztul_A_Visztula

Hungarian
    See, personally, I would use "oproti"; not "naproti"

When you use “oproti” and “naproti” not with a meaning to be in the opposite side of sth, but to go to meet somebody , do you also prefer “oproti” to “naproti”?

My sentence from the book: “… a Peter išiel starému otcovi naproti”.

And my second question is that the sentence has exactly the same meaning independently from the position of these prepositions (o/naproti)? Either thry are put before or after “starému otcovi”?

Marek_D

Slovak
    When you use “oproti” and “naproti” not with a meaning to be in the opposite side of sth, but to go to meet somebody , do you also prefer “oproti” to “naproti”?
    Me personally I would use "naproti" in that context, e.g.: Idem mu naproti. Using "oproti" in that same sentence sounds a little bit off to me (though other native speakers might disagree). Both are acceptable in spoken language. I just personally prefer to use naproti.

My sentence from the book: “… a Peter išiel starému otcovi naproti”.
    Yep. That's exactly how I would use it myself as well :tick:

And my second question is that the sentence has exactly the same meaning independently from the position of these prepositions (o/naproti)? Either thry are put before or after “starému otcovi”?
    I don't think you can put oproti/naproti before the noun phrase without the sentence sounding a bit unnatural then. I don't think this is just a matter of preference (unlike the above mentioned use of oproti vs naproti) either.

"a Peter išiel naproti starému otcovi” sounds off to me. "Naproti" (in this particular example) can sound a bit like you're saying that Peter was (going) "against" his grandfather (which could mean that Peter was trying to do something against his grandfather's wishes). Without context, I wouldn't necessarily know what that sentence means (on its own). I'd personally stick to putting oproti/naproti after the noun phrase (and definitely put it after if there is a pronoun there instead of a noun, e.g. Idem ti/mu/jej naproti) when you're talking about setting off to go meet somebody.