Slovak: Nech sa páči

lafz_puchnevala

Tamil
Hey guys, I created this thread for people now starting out in the Slovak language. I just started learning this language and it will be great to hear your comments about some doubts I have along the way either in all basic aspects of the language..

To start off, I am not sure why 'Nech' in 'Nech sa páči.' to mean 'Here you are/go' sounds more like 'nick' in rather than 'neck' in english. It does not match the Slovak 'e' sound to my ears.

Also, in what contexts do you use this phrase?

Thank you for your comments.
Cheers

• ZDalexx

Slovak
    Hello,
    You use it mostly when you're giving something to someone :

- Could you give me salt, please?
    - Here you are. = Nech sa páči.

- Can I have [something]?
    - Nech sa páči. (Yes, you can. Here you are.)

Edit : It is a kind of polite phrase.

lafz_puchnevala

Tamil
    Thank you. I get the meaning now.
    About the pronunciation, how would you pronounce the 'e' in 'Nech'? Would it have the same sound as in the slovak alphabet? Google translate gives an 'i' sound instead.

francisgranada

Hungarian
    Nech sa (ti) páči literally means something like "Let (you) like it", or "Que (te) guste/plazca" in Spanish and "Che (ti) piaccia/gusti" in Italian.
    .... I am not sure why 'Nech' in 'Nech sa páči. ....
    Nech is historically an imperative from the verb nechať (to let), used still e.g. in Czech language in this function. (In modern Slovak the imperative from nechať is nechaj).
    About the pronunciation, how would you pronounce the 'e' in 'Nech'? Would it have the same sound as in the slovak alphabet?
    The pronounciation is like "ñej" in Spanish. I.e. the initial n before the vowel e is pronounced palatalized, like in New York; ch is pronouced like in Loch Ness. The e remains "e", according to the Slovak alphabet, i.e. like in English 'neck'.

Last edited: