Slovak: raz, krát, násobný

Concise

Hungarian
Yes, I am still in the amazing world of numerals. Similarly to my mother language, Hungarian, Slovak has the same sort of charm that there are not just many types of numerals, which can be expressed in many languages, but in Slovak there are different forms to express the same meaning. But do they have the same meaning indeed?

Popped into raz, krát and násobný, and I cannot decide whether there is any slight difference when you use one of the three forms.

• vianie

Slovak
    Popped into raz, krát and násobný, and I cannot decide whether there is any slight difference when you use one of the three forms.

There's no difference in the meaning, they all express the same thing, which is multiplication.

To demonstrate the difference I feel, allow me to use these examples, although they're based on my sizably limited point of view:

Slovan vyhral najvyššiu slovenskú ligu už vyše rázy. Very colloquial, I wouldn't recommend to use it for the serious statements.

Slovan viackrát vyhral najvyššiu slovenskú súťaž. A quite serious, although not too formal statement.

Slovan je niekoľkonásobným víťazom najvyššej slovenskej ligy. A quite formal statement.

morior_invictus

Slovak
    násobné číslovky can function as: 1. číslovkový výraz (e.g. tri razy or trikrát)(two types: <number,...> + raz-razy-ráz, <number,...> + -krát; as vianie mentioned above, those with raz-razy-ráz are more common in informal settings and those with -krát are more common in formal settings; raz-razy-ráz is always written as two words whereas -krát is always written as one*; the version with razy when not used with numbers 2-4 such as viacrazy or päťrazy is considered non-standard although I often prefer it to the standard one), 2. príslovka (e.g. trojnásobne or trojmo), 3. prídavné meno (e.g. trojitý or trojrázový or trojnásobný)

In vianie's first example, I would use viacrazy instead of vyše razy (vyše razy actually does not sound OK to me - as if there was something missing in between, such as vyše dva razy, but it may be regional).

Slovan viacrazy vyhral najvyššiu slovenskú ligu. (viacrazy is frowned upon but sounds better to my ears here than viac ráz)
    Slovan viackrát vyhral najvyššiu slovenskú ligu.
    Slovan viacnásobne vyhral najvyššiu slovenskú ligu.

_____
    *1: jeden raz, 2-4: dva/tri/štyri razy, 5-: päť/šesť/.../sto/viac/niekoľko/mnoho ráz vs. jedenkrát/dvakrát/trikrát/štyrikrát/.../stokrát/mnohokrát/viackrát/niekoľkokrát

Last edited:

Concise

Hungarian
    Dear both,

thanks for the explanation. I guess in the next lyrics “stokrát” should not be considered as formal, just simply something coming from the artistic liberties/license and was used just as something sounding better than “sto ráz” (believed by the author). Is it correct or just the opposite, because the lyrics deliberately emphasizes some formality for some reasons?

“Ak je refrén zlý, tak treba si ho pustiť päť razy, ho pustiť päť razy
    Ja som si ho stokrát už asi, tak stokrát už asi, tak stokrát už asi”

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Both are common in informal speech/writing (with raz/razy/ráz being slightly more common, in my experience), however, in a more formal setting, I would personally avoid using raz/razy/ráz (-krát is suitable for both). Also, the singer probably did not want to sound too repetitive so he opted for a different way to say the same thing.