you can see that while the dictionary
Slovník súčasného slovenského jazyka A – G, H – L, M – N
z r. 2006, 2011, 2015.”

lists naliať as the perfective pair of liať,

Slovník slovenského jazyka
z r. 1959 – 1968*.”

lists vyliať, uliať and odliať.

Moreover the last three are listed as “dok. k 1 vyliať, k 2 uliať, odliať”

I checked the úvod of the dictionary, but I found no explanation for the letter k as an abbreviation/code. Even if I understood what k means I am sure I would not understand why are these three perfective verbs are grouped in this way?

I know it may sound a strange request, but can someone please lend me a helping hand?

• numerator

Hungarian, Slovak
    I suppose "k" here is simply the preposition k, corresponding to the English preposition to.
    The dictionary lists several distinct meanings listed for liať, numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4.

And the perfective form corresponding to meaning 1 (pour a liquid) is vyliať; *
    and the form corresponding to meaning 2 (cast a metal object by pouring liquid metal in to a form) is uliať or odliať.

*At least so the dictionary says, but I would take issue with listing vyliať as simply a perfective form with no extra meaning. It really only has the meaning pour out, so if we were talking about pouring liquid into a vessel, the proper perfective form would, of course, be vliať, if pouring from one vessel to another, preliať, if distributing the liquid into several vessels, rozliať; etc. etc.

Last edited:

numerator

Hungarian, Slovak
    EDIT: and if we are talking about pouring a glass, the proper perfective is naliať, just as the other dictionary says.

This is in fact a very frequent situation that none of the prefixed verbs is simply "perfective", without adding some extra meaning.

Concise

Hungarian
    I suppose "k" here is simply the preposition k, corresponding to the English preposition to.
    The dictionary lists several distinct meanings listed for liať, numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4.

And the perfective form corresponding to meaning 1 (pour a liquid) is vyliať; *
    and the form corresponding to meaning 2 (cast a metal object by pouring liquid metal in to a form) is uliať or odliať.

*At least so the dictionary says, but I would take issue with listing vyliať as simply a perfective form with no extra meaning. It really only has the meaning pour out, so if we were talking about pouring liquid into a vessel, the proper perfective form would, of course, be vliať, if pouring from one vessel to another, preliať, if distributing the liquid into several vessels, rozliať; etc. etc.
    All the answers related to perfective/imperfective, received from you, francisgranada, Sobakus and vianie made me think.

I made an important decision. Following my former decision if I meet a new Slovak verb, either imperfective or perfective, I will still check whether it exists in another form, but from now I will check ONLY whether an un-prefixed verb has another un-prefixed form with the other aspect.

Like dat' and dávat', or umyt' and umy'vat' (maybe umyt' is also prefixed, but now it is not so important, so I did not check it), strihat' and strihnút', hovorit' and povedat' (I checked earlier and think that povedat' is not po+vedat').

And if I meet a prefixed verb before I meet it in its unprefixed form, I will do the same, but will stick to the same prefix.

It makes no sense to hunt for a "secondary" perfective for a primary imperfective and vice versa, or for a real secondary imperfective just to put it next to a "primary" perfective.

And thus I will be not confused with the verbs, as am I now.

Last edited: