Slovenian: Basic phrases

martinemussies

Senior Member
the Netherlands ~ Dutch.
Hi everybody !! :D
As I mentioned in the Sloveniantread already, I used to study
this beautiful language a few years ago. And I was thinking that
it would be nice to share some of my very modest knowledge
of Slovene with you... ;) Please correct my mistakes...
Na swidenje, xx Martine.

YES = JA
NO = NE
PLEASE = PROSIM
THANK YOU = HVALA

HELLO = ZDRAVO
HI = ZIVJA
GOOD MORNING = DOBRO JUTRO
GOOD AFTERNOON = DOBER DAN
GOOD NIGHT = LAHKO NOCv
GOOD-BYE = NA SVIDENJE
HOW ARE YOU? = KAKO STE (KAI)?
FINE, THANKS. AND YOU? = DOBRO, HVALA. PA VI?

I UNDERSTAND. = RAZUMEM.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND. = NE RAZUMEM.

GOOD = Dobro
BAD = Slabo
FRIEND = Prijatelj (a man), Prijateljica (a woman)
Happy Birthday! = Vse najboljše za rojstni dan!
 
  • Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    martinemussies said:
    HOW ARE YOU? = KAKO STE (KAI)?

    What does kai mean? ;)

    Martine with head in the clouds, pleeeeeeease have a look at the format of thread titles in OL. Whatever you do, I will edit it because I am quite obstinate. :D

    Jana
     

    Tobycek

    Senior Member
    England, English
    Pretty much everything is right. You have used the polite forms, which is what you should use when you don't know someone too well.

    "How are you" is Kako ste kaj or just Kako ste. The "kaj" here doesn't really mean anything, but sounds nice after a verb in a short question.
    "Hi/Hello" is Živjo, which is used commonly in Ljubljana and the Western part of the country. Zdravo is still normal in the East, but a bit old-fashioned elsewhere.
    Anything else you want to know, just ask. :)

    Jaz grem spat, lahko noč!
     

    alby

    Senior Member
    Croatia
    martinemussies said:
    Thank you, Tobycek! Your comments are very interesting :)
    Can't figure out your last sentence.... ;) noč = night?


    Yes, noč means night..... ( Im going to sleep, good night)

    Nataša
     

    martinemussies

    Senior Member
    the Netherlands ~ Dutch.
    alby said:
    Yes, noč means night..... ( Im going to sleep, good night)

    Nataša

    Hi Nataša (beautiful way of writing your name! In Dutch, it would
    be "Natascha" or "Natasja", by the way!) :D

    Thank you for this translation! :) I guess I understand it now:

    Jaz = I (just like Russian я)
    grem = will / go ?
    spat = sleep? (mmm, in Russian that's сон I guess...)
    lahko = good?
    noč! = night, as you explained :) simular to ноча :)
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    martinemussies said:
    Hi Nataša (beautiful way of writing your name! In Dutch, it would
    be "Natascha" or "Natasja", by the way!) :D

    Thank you for this translation! :) I guess I understand it now:

    Jaz = I (just like Russian я)
    grem = will / go ?
    spat = sleep? (mmm, in Russian that's сон I guess...)
    lahko = good?
    noč! = night, as you explained :) simular to ноча :)
    "Lehký" generally means light/easy in Slavic languages.
    Good sounds like "dobrý" etc.

    By the way, I wouldn't understand "jaz grem" without context. It was very clear in Tobycek's sentence, but I wouldn't even recognize that it is a Slavic language otherwise! :eek: (Czech: já jdu).

    Jana
     

    alby

    Senior Member
    Croatia
    Jana337 said:
    "Lehký" generally means light/easy in Slavic languages.
    Good sounds like "dobrý" etc.

    By the way, I wouldn't understand "jaz grem" without context. It was very clear in Tobycek's sentence, but I wouldn't even recognize that it is a Slavic language otherwise! :eek: (Czech: já jdu).

    Jana


    Yes, thats true...we use that expresion for good night,
    lahko noč or laku noć (croatian) would literally mean easy night.

    Nataša
     

    dejan123

    Member
    slovenia, slo
    martinemussies said:
    Hi everybody !! :D
    As I mentioned in the Sloveniantread already, I used to study
    this beautiful language a few years ago. And I was thinking that
    it would be nice to share some of my very modest knowledge
    of Slovene with you... ;) Please correct my mistakes...
    Na swidenje, xx Martine.

    YES = JA
    NO = NE
    PLEASE = PROSIM
    THANK YOU = HVALA

    HELLO = ZDRAVO
    HI = ŽIVJO
    GOOD MORNING = DOBRO JUTRO
    GOOD AFTERNOON = DOBER DAN
    GOOD NIGHT = LAHKO NOČ
    GOOD-BYE = NASVIDENJE
    HOW ARE YOU? = KAKO STE (KAJ)?
    FINE, THANKS. AND YOU? = DOBRO, HVALA. PA VI (or TI)?

    I UNDERSTAND. = RAZUMEM.
    I DON'T UNDERSTAND. = NE RAZUMEM.

    GOOD = Dobro
    BAD = Slabo
    FRIEND = Prijatelj (a man), Prijateljica (a woman)
    Happy Birthday! = Vse najboljše za rojstni dan!

    need some more just ask
     

    anneh

    New Member
    english/england
    I am new to this site. Could anybody please help me? My hubby is in Ljubljana this week and I would love to learn some nice phrases to say to the people he's working with. I was speaking to a nice guy on the phone earlier, and would like to say, "was nice talking to you"Sort of thing, and asking about the weather etc. Sorry to be a pain.

    Anne
     

    Irbis

    Senior Member
    Slovenian, Slovenia
    By the way, I wouldn't understand "jaz grem" without context. It was very clear in Tobycek's sentence, but I wouldn't even recognize that it is a Slavic language otherwise! :eek: (Czech: já jdu).

    Verb "iti" (to go) is very irregular in Slovenian.
    Infinitive form is "iti".
    Forms for present are: grem, greš, gre, greva, gresta, gresta, gremo, greste and grejo/gredo.
    Forms for imperative are: pojdi, pojdite, pojdimo.
    Forms for participle: šel, šla, šlo, šli, šle.
     
    Top