Edinost, sreča, sprava
k nam naj nazaj se vrnejo;
otrók, kar ima Slava,
vsi naj si v róke sežejo,
de oblast
in z njo čast,
ko pred, spet naša boste last!

From the poem "Zdravljica".

How should we understand these 3 words "Edinost", "sreča", and "sprava"?
Do they sound religious (Catholic)?
Or are they just like listing good sounding words?
I ask this question, because each translation in Wikipedia seem different.
(German) : Versöhnung, Glück und Eintracht
(Italian) : Unità, fortuna, pace
(Macedonian) : Единство, среќа, слога
Foreigners seem translating as they prefer carelessly, I'm afraid...

• harakiri

Japanese
    I get it. So it's not religious. If observing the historical background, it seems so. In the 19th Century, France Prešeren had tried describing the future view, while struggling under the double bind between the old fashioned common sense of the Habsburg Empire (old EU) and the ethnically nationalistic enthusiasm. Nietzsche, Voltaire, as well, had got the same headache philosophically. But in their case, their motherland was rather stable. Prešeren had felt that his friends and he needed to create something for their neighbors. They didn't welcome any "foreign" governors much because of their selfishness. They preferred keeping their own culture, language. People started avoiding the education in German. To achieve that, they needed to prepare lots. Actually in the countryside, it was easier to collect Slovene language background more than in the cities, since there wasn't any educational institute. (This was very essential, since we could observe the typical life in the countryside. The majority had lived in the countryside, not in the cities before. The situation was same everywhere in this world.) Of course, it's not only the work of a few people like Prešeren. Lots of people unknown had contributed lots, too. More like the historical destiny, which people had grabbed by themselves in the end. But at least he was one of the leaders, who had encouraged his neighbors daily. I like his description. He says "Let's be happy together" to anyone. Not letting people hate others. He didn't talk about the politics stupidly as silly commentators in the 21st Century. I feel something similar even to France Bevk. When one was translating his work ("Grivarjevi Otroci") in Japanese, he wrote the comment for the Japanese. He talked about the future of the children in Japan and in Yugoslavia (Slovenia). "Stories of a far country aren't incompatible with your children. They have their own views. When children meet each others, they realize that there's something common like easygoingness (kindness), belief to love justice and truth, and they become friends. They're gonna create the Peace." I want to feel such things from the poems of Prešeren as the culture of Slovenia. :)

< Previous | Next >