Slovenian: Kočevje (pronunciation)

Linnets

Hi all, what allophone of /v/ can be found in the place name Kočevje i.e. between a vowel and /j/? I've read that /v/ can have up to four allophones: [ʋ] before vowels (but can /j/ be considered a vowel?), [w] after a vowel, [ʍ] between a syllable boundary and a voiceless consonant, and [u] at the end of a word. According to this definition, I would guess [kɔˈtʃeːwjɛ] but Duden writes [kɔˈtʃeːvjɛ].
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • GrayRogue

Slovenian
    Isn't it pronounced [kɔˈtʃeːu̯jɛ]? Or at least that's what Wiki says and that's close to how I pronounce it (but with a closed o).

vianie

Slovak
    , also known as non-syllabic u, behaves like u in UEFA or Vuelta, especially when it's pronounced by an Italian and heard by a Slovak :)

Last edited:

Linnets

I think u̯ and w are just two ways of writing the same sound.
    More or less yes, but here in Italy we call /w/ a semiconsonant and /u̯/ a semivowel (i.e. in Muljačić magnum opus—yes we had Slavic phonologists like him and Tekavčić who helped us study our language :)) and we usually employ the first in "rising diphthongs" e.g. questo, uomo, cuoio, whereas the second in "falling diphthongs" such as aula, causa, Europa.