Slovenian: Kranjc

• Panceltic

Slovenščina
    Actually Кранц. We don’t pronounce the j in lj and nj combinations, except immediately before a vowel (where they are pronounced лј and нј (i.e. two phonemes, not palatalised)).

So you have Kranj [kran] vs. Kranja (genetive) [kranja].

The grammaticaly ‘correct’ form of Kranjc [krants] is actually Kranjec, which is indeed pronounced [kranjəts].

GrayRogue

Slovenian
    I would also like to add that in Standard Slovenian, nj and lj are pronounced when followed by a vowel (ključ, knjiga), but the j is usually omitted in colloquial speech (at least in north-eastern dialects, but probably in others as well, since Ljubljana is usually pronounced Lublana by the locals): ključ -> kluč, knjiga -> kniga, pljuča -> pluča etc. :)

GrayRogue

Slovenian
    pronounced in the same way as in German (as opposed to southern Yugoslavian)?
    As Panceltic wrote: except immediately before a vowel (where they are pronounced лј and нј (i.e. two phonemes, not palatalised)) (which is true for Standard Slovenian).

Do you have any examples in German because I can't seem to remember any words that would have the nj or lj?

Similar examples in foreign languages I can think of at the moment are the French lieu (pronounced /ljø/, but still the lj is the same) or its British pronunciatio (/lju:/) and the beau in English beautiful (except that it's /bju:/ and not /lju:/ or /nju:/.