slow to <accommodate> wishes

fh3579

Chinese
The following sentences are cited from a textbook for English learners:
Moreover, seven out of ten young people said they would be willing to buy a Fair Trade product even if the price was slightly higher. Although the enthusiasm is there, however, educational establishments are proving slow to accommodate their students' wishes.
What does "accommodate" mean?

• Linkway

British English
    In this context, 'slow to accommodate their students' wishes' means that many are unwilling to use Fair Trade products (eg in student restaurants or cafes) even students want them to. They probably just use the cheapest, regardless of the source.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    If the WRF dictionary doesn't provide an obvious meaning (search box) the page also has links to other dictionaries. The one below comes from MerriamWebster. I think #3 or #5 explains the sentence you ask about.
    3: to provide with something desired, needed, or suited
    4 a : to make room for
    b : to hold without crowding or inconvenience
    5: to give consideration to : allow for <accommodate the special interests of various groups>

sdgraham

USA English
    I see it as poor writing, i.e. a bad choice of words. :thumbsdown:

I would say "... educational establishments are proving slow to accede to their students' wishes.

I suspect that your unidentified textbook is yet another example of something written by a non-native English speaker or speakers.

As evidence, witness the wordy and redundant: "
    Although the enthusiasm is there, however, educational establishments are proving slow to accommodate their students' wishes.

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

accede /ækˈsiːd/vb (intransitive) usually followed by to:
    • to assent or give one's consent; agree

< Previous | Next >