slug [carpooling: AE]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ManOfWords, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    To wait for or obtain a ride to work by standing at a roadside hoping to be picked up by adriver who needs another passenger to use the HOV lanes of a highway.

Is it well in use? this meaning? where is it used? whats the sense behind it? thanks

slug (meaning 4)

2. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    I've never heard it in British English.

3. High-occupancy vehicle lanes, or car-sharing lanes, have been in use in the USA since 1960. There are very few such dedicated lanes on highways in the UK, so hardly any of us here will have heard of 'slug' being used with this meaning.

We'll have to wait a few hours for our American friends to wake up and tell us how common it is over there.

4. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
  5. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    < Response to deleted post removed. Cagey, moderator >

While we wait: I can only agree that I’ve never heard of it, despite my consumption of American films and novels.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
  6. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    I've never heard of it.
    It seems to be a regional term known in the area around Washington DC.

Slugging is a term used to describe a unique form of commuting found in the Washington, DC area sometimes referred to as "Instant Carpooling" or "Casual Carpooling".
    [.....]
    A car needing additional passengers to meet the required 3- person high occupancy vehicle (HOV) minimum pulls up to one of the known slug lines. [....] The driver either displays a sign with the destination or simply lowers the passenger window, to call out the destination, such as "Pentagon," "L’Enfant Plaza," or "14th & New York." The slugs first in line for that particular destination then hop into the car, normally confirming the destination, and off they go.

7. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    :eek: so cool thanks ;)

8. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Thanks - my word for the day: rarely are they so short :D

9. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    I've never heard this meaning of "slug". I've been lucky: I've never worked in Washington D.C.

10. WyomingSue

WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    Yes, Cagey is correct. I lived in the DC area for three years. I was home with my children at the time, and my husband was in a carpool, but this is a local method of getting a ride to work. Commutes in the DC area can be very painful and lOng.

11. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    cool a first-hand user of the term slugging, thanks! ;)