1. Senator New Member

English
    Hi,

How would I translate "slum clearance and redevelopment"? This applies to homes and businesses in a slum area.

Thanks!

2. Bilma Senior Member

USA
    Spanish Mexico
  3. Senator New Member

English
    Hi Blima,

Thanks for your help. The word listed under your reference is "deschabolizacion". I ran that by some native Mexican Spanish speakers here and they never had heard it. I also put it on Google and there were no hits. Is this a commonly used woprd in Mexican Spanish?

4. Bilma Senior Member

USA
    Spanish Mexico
    I don´t think it is common. It might be a technical word. Supongo que el origen de la palabra viene de aqui:

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltGUIBusUsual

Remoción/eliminación de barriadas. No me gusta mucho tampoco.

5. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    If you need the Mexican Spanish version (we don´t use chabolas for slums) you could use:
    desalojo de asentamientos irregulares

it´s a term widely used in official documents and newspapers
    cheers

6. helenduffy

helenduffy Senior Member

USA, English
    Fascinating problem: how to say destruction of a decayed urban neighborhood in a positive way!

a slum:
    un barrio pobre
    un barrio marginal
    un barrio hacinado
    una barriada

los soburbios: a lower class maybe dangerous outlying neighborhood, the poor section on the edge of town, the other side of the tracks

slum clearance:
    una barrida de la barriada: literally a sweeping of a slum (cute, but a tongue-twister)
    quitar edificios aruinados: to take away ruined buildings
    el despeje de los escombros: clearance of the ruins, the rubble

Development: desarrollo

Redevelopment:
    renovaciOn, rejuvenacIiOn,
    revivir: to revive

7. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    Helenduffy,
    It all depends on the Spanish you use. Spain, Latinamerican countries and some former Spanish colonies, each one have variations. What Spanish speaking country do you have in mind?

8. helenduffy

helenduffy Senior Member

USA, English
    I've got it! You should say "las Areas" (not "los barrios")!

las Areas desmoronadas: the decayed areas

9. helenduffy

helenduffy Senior Member

USA, English
    lapachis8,
    Senator is the one who is asking, not yours truly. I'm assuming from the moniker that s/he is in the US, near Mexico.

10. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    Sorry. I thought you were wondering about the terms you posted. I was just pointing out that Spanish is so diverse.
    Actually, your post is a second post inside Senator´s, so you might probably want to open a new post. By the way, áreas desmoronadas mean crumbled areas as if crumbled bisquits or dry bread. Maybe if you open a new post with the questions I seem to understand you were wondering about I could probably post a reply in case you are interested, because most of your Spanish terms have funny twists of meaning in Mexican Spanish.
    cheers