slumber/sleep

< Previous | Next >

kansi

japanese
Another rough night? One of these 6 bad habits might be ruining your sleep. We'll show you how to make your bedroom a sleep oasis and prepare your body for a sound slumber. Because we all know – a restful night is important to get us through the challenges of the day.

Does the word slumber have the same meaning of sleep and give a more fun sense than "sleep" so it's used in this context of an advertisement context?

• Andygc

British English
    There's no additional "fun" in "slumber". It's merely a pretentious misuse of the word because the copywriter didn't want to repeat "sleep".

kansi

japanese
    There's no additional "fun" in "slumber". It's merely a pretentious misuse of the word because the copywriter didn't want to repeat "sleep".
    Slumber is used because the copywriter didn't want to sleep although s/he would have noticed it would sound pretentious?

heypresto

English - England
    It just means 'sleep'. It has perhaps a poetic feel to it, but it just means 'sleep'.

I'm with the others, the writer used it solely to avoid saying 'sleep' again.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    It’s not really used in everyday speech, except for the fixed expression “slumber party.”

kansi

japanese
    It’s not really used in everyday speech, except for the fixed expression “slumber party.”
    I see. Would anyone mean "I am going to sleep." by saying "I am going to slumber." to give it a poetic feel on porpose?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It'd sound very old-fashioned and formal, and I doubt anyone would say it unless they wanted to sound funny.

"Slumber" in the sentence you suggested (I'm going to slumber) sounds like very relaxed, peaceful sleep.

heypresto

English - England
    Unless you intend to write a story or poem about a handsome prince kissing a sleeping princess and awakening her from her royal slumber, I would forget the word altogether. Or at least file it away in your passive vocabulary.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Would anyone mean "I am going to sleep." by saying "I am going to slumber." to give it a poetic feel on porpose?
    No, "going to sleep" is a fixed expression, and you shouldn't tinker with it. "going to slumber" sounds very strange. If I wanted to be playfully poetic, I might say something like "I'm going to indulge in a peaceful slumber" but not "I'm going to slumber."
    It'd have sounded better without the article.
    I don't agree. It sounds better to me with the article.

< Previous | Next >