slut strands

dizmayed

English-USA
Oh my. A skiing and snowboarding term I just learned from the Conscious Language Newsletter.

I subscribe to that worthy word blog called consciousstyleguide.com. The web page says: Our mission is to help writers and editors think critically about using language—including words, portrayals, framing, and representation—to empower instead of limit. If you are interested in how language might demean and what politically/cultural sensitive alternatives exist, this blog and newsletter is for you.

They point out the term "slut strands" in their latest newsletter. You'll also find it in the urbandictionary.com

Slut strands — a hairstyle when two strands of hair are left loose outside of a competitor's helmet to frame their face. So it seems to apply to a very small cohort of women athletes.

Yahoo Life says of the term, in use since the early 2000s: “Our culture back then was a bit lawless and capitalized on being provocative and pushing the rules. So, did we necessarily like the hairstyle being called slut strands? Nope. But, the term wasn't ever going away, so we got to squash slut-shaming and reclaim our strands."

Contemporary language just kills me. There's even slutstrandsociety.com whose index page says:

Slut Strand (N.) :Two strands of hair commonly used by the ladies of skiing & snowboarding to express femininity under all dat [sic]gear. No, they do not make someone a slut. And no, we do not support slut shaming. They are of comparable importance to your bindings themselves, a true staple to the lifestyle. We’re here to embrace em.

yr obt svt,

dizmayed