Small village collected

< Previous | Next >

Glaire

Français
Hey all,

currently translating Thoreau's Walk to Wachussetts i have a problem with this sentence:
"Passing through Sterling, we reached the banks of the Stillwater, in the western part of the town, at evening, where is a small village collected.''
I am not sure of the meaning of collected, i found it could mean calme, but i am not quite convinced it is this meaning here... anyway, here is my try :

"En passant par Sterling, nous rejoignimes les rives de Stillwater au crepuscule, dans la partie ouest de la ville, ou se trouve un calme petit village." ???

thanks for helping me! :)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Thoreau is a fairly idiosyncratic writer, and this isn't standard usage. I think the idea is "there was a collection of houses, making a small village". You need to use a word like "regrouper" or "se rassembler".

Glaire

Français
    hummm i see now!!
    I used a "periphrase": "En passant par Sterling, nous rejoignimes les rives de Stillwater au crepuscule, dans la partie ouest de la ville, la ou les habitations etaient groupees en un petit village" (sorry for the lack of accent on this english key board)

Indeed, Thoreau is not easy to translate at all, but i like his writings!! :)

thank you both for helping, it is clearer now.

< Previous | Next >