smartphones that USED Android operating system

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
The company has had several product delays and is facing tough competition from Apple’s Inc.’s iPhone and smartphones that used Google Inc.’s Android operating system. The Washington Post (no subscription)

Dear all,

I have a problem with the use of "used". I would use "use" because "use" is suggesting some smartphones used, are using and will use Android operating system. Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This form probably followed the "has had" the reporter used in describing events in the past. At those times the phones used Android. The reporter put the whole sentence in the past. Perhaps those phones no longer exist or perhaps they do, but whether they continue to use Android is not important in the story.

LQZ

Mandarin
    This form probably followed the "has had" the reporter used in describing events in the past. At those times the phones used Android. The reporter put the whole sentence in the past. Perhaps those phones no longer exist or perhaps they do, but whether they continue to use Android is not important in the story.
    Good point, Julain. :)

< Previous | Next >