Smash hit

Caleín

español (España)
Hi everybody!

I see I can use box-office hit or box-office smash to refer to a blockbuster, but I have found the expression smash hit. Can I use it with everything? It sounds as if you say the same twice, don't you think?

I hope your ideas.

• pubman

Hola

Los tres son iguales. La última expresión puede referirse a una canción también.
    I'm not sure they are equal Massod, the first two clearly refer to any successful film/play at the cinema/theatre whilst the third can refer to both a 'hit record' and a 'hit musical'

You wouldn't say a play by Shakespeare had been a smash hit.

Caleín

español (España)
    Thank you both of you. Yes the two first are more specific, whereas the last is more general. It catched my attention because I have never heard about it and because it seemed to me special to see/seeing together two words with the same or similar meaning. I suppose it gives it a stronger meaning.
    I also could saw that smash hit is used in slang language, so that was why I asked for you some ideas about it.

Thank you very much for your comments!

Masood

British English
    Thank you both of you. Yes the two first are more specific, whereas the last is more general. It caught catched my attention because I have never heard about it and because to me it seemed special to see/seeing together two words together with the same or similar meaning. I suppose it gives it a stronger meaning.
    I also could saw that smash hit is used in slang language, so that was why I asked you for some ideas about it.

Thank you very much for your comments!
    Como lo has pedido en tu firma, te he hecho unas pequeñas correcciones.

Caleín

español (España)
    Muchísimas gracias, por eso a veces marco yo mismo mis dudas. Por otra parte, al escribir frases tan largas ya supongo que algo no lo voy a hacer bien :thumbsup:
    I also could saw that smash hit is used in slang language, so that was why I asked you for some ideas about it.

Aquí en español pensaba en: "También pude ver que smash hit se usa en lenguaje coloquial..." Tu corrección también es válida pero, ¿podría haber dicho I could also see that smash hit...?

< Previous | Next >