smorzare l'entusiasmo

< Previous | Next >
  • Saoul

Italian
    Ciao Elfonora,

puoi per cortesia scrivere una frase completa e darci del contesto?
    I modi per rendere la stessa frase possono essere diversi a seconda anche del registro che vuoi utilizzare.

Grazie
    Saoul

bearded

Hello
    For 'dampening/extinguishing your enthusiasm' an Amercian friend of mine suggested the following expressions:

bursting your bubble
    raining on your parade

Now I would like to know whether those idioms are used only in AE or also in BrE. Many thanks in advance for your responses.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hello
    For 'dampening/extinguishing your enthusiasm' an Amercian friend of mine suggested the following expressions:

bursting your bubble
    raining on your parade

Now I would like to know whether those idioms are used only in AE or also in BrE. Many thanks in advance for your responses.
    They’re both quite common in Australia (which you didn’t ask :D) and I’m pretty certain they’re used in both the UK and America. :)

Edit: Removed the offending ‘t’.

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    In Canada too. Just to add that they’re both fairly colloquial and commonly used and would depend on the context to know if a d when appropriate. Dampen someone’s enthusiasm is more formal.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "extinguish your enthusiasm" doesn't collocate for me.

YLP, did you intentionally add a "t" to "bubble"? Do you say "burst your bubblet" in Australia?

< Previous | Next >