snappy advice

< Previous | Next >
  • behemot

Polish
    It's a phrase from "The coaching habit" by M. Bungay Stanier.

"People have lots of snappy advice for you. “Work smarter, not harder.” “Be more strategic.” These maxims tend to be TBU: True But Useless.

sdgraham

USA English
    I think your post defines itself, i.e. "true but useless."

"Snappy advice" is not a fixed expression I've ever come across.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    Quick, off-the-cuff advice. Perhaps cliched in nature. Phrases that roll off the tongue quickly, but provide little in the way of real guidance.

Packard

USA, English
    I would say that snappy advice, which SD notes is not a standard phrase (and I concur), is advice that sounds better than the expected result. Or it is advice for which you cannot possibly follow. For example:

I had a friend whose wife died. He would get advice: "Cheer up" and he would reply, "What's step one?" In other words, "You've given me advice now please tell me how to implement it."

Packard

USA, English
    We used "snappy reply" to mean "riposte", but I have not heard of "snappy advice" in the USA.

"Riposte", a fencing term means that after parrying an opponent's attack you respond with your own.

A "riposte" in language would be a damning reply to an insult or criticism.

A "snappy reply" might be less offensive than an actual "riposte".

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    It's a phrase from "The coaching habit" by M. Bungay Stanier.

"People have lots of snappy advice for you. “Work smarter, not harder.” “Be more strategic.” These maxims tend to be TBU: True But Useless.
    These are snappy comments. See "snappy": snappy - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    These are also advice.

Snappy is used as an adjective. You could also get "useless advice" or "worthless advice" or even "good advice."

< Previous | Next >