snappy libertarian argument away from telling......

Dreia

Portuguese
This extract was taken from the newspaper The Guardian. I need to translate it, but the part underlined below I am finding very difficult to understand.

"The right of the party need to accept that the public are not just one snappy libertarian argument away from telling the state ."

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Myridon

English - US
    (I needed the rest of the sentence and you made me search for it. Please give the full sentence next time. http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/oct/07/david-cameron-where-did-all-go-wrong)
    Let's move the "not" first.
    The right need to accept that it is not the case that the public are just one snappy libertarian argument away from telling the state to bugger off.
    The part that is underlined now means: If the public had one more snappy libertarian argument, they could tell the state to bugger off. All they need in order to be able to tell the state to bugger off is one more snappy libertarian argument.
    I have nine dollars. I am just one dollar away from having ten dollars.
    I have three dollars. I am not just one dollar away from having ten dollars.

Dreia

Portuguese
    Oh, many many thanks. So good and useful. That is such a good explanation. I've been trying to translate this but, the way you are saying seems very clear to me. My final dissertation is really draining my brain. Sorry for not providing you with more context. But many, many thanks!

< Previous | Next >